Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I thin out my garden

Posted by BobbyBuchea mississippi (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 16, 13 at 12:08

I'm curious what I need to do or if it's possible to thin out my garden by moving 3 rooted and vining watermelon plants and possibly some cantaloupe plants. It is the first year for my step son and me to have a garden because I'm a newly wed. After planting, I have come to realize that we need more room for the plants to grow. I was also told that due to the watermelon being beside the cucumbers; it is possible for them to end up tasting similar to cucumbers. Any help and/or information is greatly appreciated. We started with a spot the size of the cab of a truck, I've now tilled up approximately a 60 by 60 square. I'm about to till another 30 foot section for pumpkins and a small section for dill weed. I'll post pictures when I can.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I thin out my garden

No, you can't move vining cucurbits. It will kill them. If you have too many, you can remove some. What you can also do is plant seeds of news ones in your additional plot. In your zone, this could be possible.

There is no way your watermelon will end up tasting like cucumbers.

o

So as long as I keep them watered well and add some fertilizer they should all be fine? I've spread out the rest into well defined rows where I've planted mustard greens and spinach.

o

I have expanded from the little green patch on the left to this tilled and planted spot. I'm hoping to till and plant pumpkins behind what is currently tilled.

o

My own belief is that, within reason, yield depends more on square footage than numbers of plants. So each plant will bear fewer fruits and they'll likely be smaller, but the area will produce about the same quantity of fruit.

I can't tell how many plants you have out there. There's a point where all the plants will be stunted if too crowded. If you're worried, best thing would be to cut some of the plants out at the stem. Don't pull them, if the roots are entangled, it'll hurt the plants you're keeping.

And be advised that pumpkins take a LOT more room than melons.

The vegetable forum, btw, has a lot more people who can chime in on this question.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here