Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Our Fruit Trees Are Not Producing Fruit

Posted by Tasng4 none (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 20, 12 at 12:13

Hi,

Firstly let me say I know NOTHING about growing anything!

We moved to France 5 years ago and initially our fruit trees (apple, pear and Green Gage) produced some fruit. However, the fruit was always small and somewhat bitter. We were told this could be due to the trees putting too much effort into new growth, we'd never pruned them. So we harshly pruned them. A friend said we may have to wait up to 2 years for the trees to recover!!

Anyway it's been 2 years and, whilst there's a lot of new growth there's precious little fruit - we have 1 small pear.

Can anyone help? What did we do wrong? What can we do to help our trees recover?

Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Our Fruit Trees Are Not Producing Fruit

To get a regular crop of fruit you need to learn how to prune. With no experience of your own, I would suggest you hire someone locally to get you started. When visiting our son who lives in the Dordogne river valley we were very pleased with the quality of the locally grown fruit, so I don't think your location is the problem. Al

o

Buy the book 'The Backyard Orchardist'. It is an excellent source of information for the 'non' professional backyard fruit grower. I would want to know more about the soil PH, where you are in France, and how other fruit growers prune, and fertilize their trees. Simples questions, but answers will give you better results. Bon Chance, Mrs. G

o

How do the bee populations look in France? Here in the US bee populations have taken a real beating due to a variety of reasons, and this year we've seen precious few bees around our house. As a result, my cherry and crabapple trees that were covered in flowers still have almost no fruits. No bees, no pollination, no fruits :-(

If you think your area is deficient in bees, maybe planting some more bee-friendly plants and flowers will help out?

o

There are many factors, so it's hard to say. Weather is also a factor in that if you get a warm spring and a cold snap, it could freeze buds causing them to fail. That happened to many of us in North America this year. Several factors affect fruiting:

Weather
Light
Pollination
Water
Nutrients
pH
Pests/Disease
Alternate year bearing (from fruiting too much in the previous year)
Maturity (some fruit plants take many years to fully bear)
Pruning

Some of these factors you can control, some you can't. Best to optimize the factors you can control, and pay attention to those you can't (such as weather). Research each variety and determine what they need and give it to them. Learn to prune correctly. Learn IPM (integrated pest management.

Fruit trees are more difficult then many other plants to grow and maintain correctly. You'll have to arm yourself with knowledge of each tree and conditions. Fruit tree maintenance changes from year to year as well as they have different requirements as they mature, and each year seems different as far as weather, pests, disease and pollinators. They are about as high maintenance as you can get, so it's always ongoing learning. Good luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here