Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Raspberries planted near tomatoes

Posted by kashmir22 none (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 4, 12 at 12:15

A friend gave me 10 raspberry plants. I had planned on planting them next to the vegetable garden on the south side of the house, this is the only area that receives full sun.
I have read online that you should not plant raspberries in the same spot that tomatoes have grown in the past. My question is can I plant near tomatoes? What is the recommended safe distance between the two plants?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Raspberries planted near tomatoes

I had a few yellow raspberries planted 10 feet away from my tomatoes. I moved them the next year so I didnt leave them there. They were fine. The tomatoes/potatoes thing leaves your raspberries susceptible to a certain disease and I dont remember off hand which one it was.

o

• Posted by corrine1 7b Pacific Northwest (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 4, 12 at 16:54

I have a 30' row of raspberries behind my 28' tomato row. The path between is 4' from pole to pole. Raspberries fill in with more plants every year to reduce that distance 2', so there is a narrow path between them during the height of summer. It's my only full sun large space.

I don't know if there is a recommended safe distance. It's convenient because both need summer water & I have my soakers start at the raspberries then down around the corner across the path and back up the tomato row.

As long as I remove old foliage from both crops and do not compost them I don't expect to have diseases. Should be workable.

o

Thanks so much for the help,
I think I can make this work.

o

The University of Georgia Extension recommends waiting at least five years to plant blackberries in ground where tomatoes, potatoes, peppers or eggplant have grown, as these "solanaceous crops" all carry verticillium wilt.

o

I think recommendations against are based on research in commercial settings and may have no bearing on planting in home garden settings. This is a frequent problem with advice coming from landgrant universities that get repeated and repeated after their transfer from commercial production recommendations to home gardener recommendations.

Even if you lost your raspberries it would be a relatively small investment. I've grown tomatoes adjacent to brambles for 25 years in the northeast and never had a problem- for what it's worth.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here