Posted by MrsG47 7 RI (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 8, 14 at 12:18

photo DSC00508-1.jpg

Jonkeer Von Tets Red Currants 2014 photo DSC00506.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mrs. G's red currants and tart 2014

MrsG,

That's it. I am coming over for a peice.

Tony

o

I don't think I've ever had a currant anything, but that looks just mouth-watering! That's very nice.

o

• Posted by murky z8f pnw Portlan (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 8, 14 at 15:10

Do you take all of the stems off?

o

Oh yum, actually I made two tarts and gave one away! Wish you all lived closer! Nope I leave on the tiny stems but each one has to be pulled off the long string (strig) they grow on, its quite tedious, but worth every bite! Mrs. G

o

• Posted by Drew51 5b/6a SE MI (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 8, 14 at 16:37

I freeze them first and it makes stem removal easier. Nice haul! I had a good year too. I still have one yet to mature, taking forever. A white currant. I want to add a few plants if I can find room somewhere! If I had it my way the front garden would be all fruit.

o

Stay tuned, the 'Champagne' (pink) currants are next! Mrs. G

o

• Posted by campv Arizona (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 8, 14 at 17:11

Sorry Mrs G but I have no clue what a current is. I thought is was a raisin. Can I grow them here in AZ? Is it in the huckleberry family or blue berry?

o

Currants are related to gooseberries and jostaberries. Those tiny dried Zante currants in a box are really small raisins. Currants love winter, a frost and warm summers. Hope this helps. Go to the Norse Farms website as they sell many varieties and check out which zone you are in and which currants you can grow. Also Black currants have a very distinctive flavor. Red, white, and pink currants taste a bit like cranberry and rhubarb. Mrs. G

This post was edited by MrsG47 on Tue, Jul 8, 14 at 18:20

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here