Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what is wrong with my grape vine

Posted by boyz UT (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 25, 13 at 12:18

Hello! I planted 8 grape vines last spring (2012). I left them alone the first year. This year I have started pruning them and 6 of the 8 look great! However, I have 2 that look like this. They are growing very slowly and the leaves are almost all yellow. Only a few of the older leaves are dark green. I'm not sure what is wrong.

I haven't fertilized. They are on a drip system and I have checked the soil and they are getting plenty of water. The other vines which are on the same drip system look just fine. Any ideas what could be going on?

Thanks

photo IMG_3414_zpsa237f6b4.jpg

photo IMG_3415_zps5261f69d.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what is wrong with my grape vine

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 25, 13 at 13:00

That's iron deficiency. On calcareous soil being too wet can cause that. Check your irrigation system.

They'll do better with infrequent deep watering rather than some every day or two. Try once a week.

If once a week is where you're at then apply one of the iron products.

o
RE: what is wrong with my grape vine

My grapes have done that before and like fruitnut said it is iron. I use ironite. To make a quick application I add 1/2 cup of the stuff to a 5gal. bucket of water, let sit over night, stir and pour around the drip line. You might want to pull the rock of their roots so you can keep an eye on the soil for watering, also you could be cooking the small roots, rocks are hot. Don't get the leaves wet when watering, try keeping those dry.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here