Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Who has late curculio damage?

Posted by ltilton 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 31, 13 at 12:20

After I sprayed acetamiprid in May, I saw no signs of curculio damage on any of my fruit until early July, when my plums got hit again. At the time, I thought it must be OFM, even tho it's not supposed to be in the area. But no, state entomologist says curculio. And he insists it must be first generation curculio, tho it seems awfully late to me. The eggs would have to have been laid the last week in June.

So is anyone else, especially in the northern half of the US midwest, getting late curculio damage?

Is it possible that damage people are attributing to OFM could be late curc - either late or 2nd generation? And does anyone have a map that shows the extent of 2nd generation curc activity?

Apparently the only way to be sure is to closely examine the larvae for legs.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Who has late curculio damage?

I haven't noticed anything on any of my stonefruit... and there is a lot of it out there that hasn't had spray on it in probably 6 weeks.

o

I've always had a late drop of Stanley plums, many infested. It's only this year I noticed the problem on the J plums, where it was a lot easier to detect.

o

I have either or both OFM and curculio in a significant number of my peaches. The peaches look and taste great but the damage is there. I haven't sprayed since fruit set due to wet weather and a kidney stone. My question is how do I prevent this to carry over to next year. Are OFM and Curculio treated with dormant oil? I would appreciate any recommendations. Thanks,Luke

o

Your pretty much screwed on Curculio...they drop to the ground as grubs and then mature into adults this year...then go back under leaf little for winter and come back in spring... just get them next year, right after petal fall..

o

After looking at images of curculio and OFM larvae in peaches, I think that it is OFM. How do I get rid of them for next year and beyond. This is very disappointing harvest. The peaches otherwise are beautiful.

o

You have to anticipate them. And to anticipate them you have to know what they are and their habits.

That's the problem. No one monitors for OFM here so if it were going to show up, no one would know when. And curcs aren't supposed to be active anymore. But here they are.

With curcs, you have to know when the adults are active and spray them before they lay eggs. With moths, you have more leeway to spray larvacide as the hatchlings are making their way to the fruit.

I had some luck early this year with acetamiprid, which shows some kickback, after I saw a lot of curc scars. By the time you can actually see the larvae, it's too late.

If you can dig them out of your fruits and ID them [curcs have no legs, moth caterpillars do - it may take magnification] you can count back to figure when the danger time was. I figure to spray next year in late June for the curcs.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here