Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
blueberry question

Posted by yippee1999 6/7 NYC (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 3, 12 at 12:22

Hi all! So I was thinking of trying to grow blueberries on my balcony. I understand that blueberries do best with cross-pollination. I don't totally understand how cross-pollination works....should I get two pots of the same variety blueberry, or is it better to get two pots that each hold a different variety of blueberry?

Also, if I keep these plants in one gallon pots, after 2-3 years of growth, how many blueberries do you think I can expect...enough to fill a few standard blueberry containers? Once the blueberries are picked, will a new crop of berries grow on the same stems? Or once the berries are produced and then picked, is that it?

I understand that blueberry plants also give nice flowers in the Spring, and vivid leaf color in the Fall, so it seems to me that having blueberries is a win/win/win. You get flowers, then the berries, and then beautiful foliage! ;-)

Btw, some varieties I am considering are Patriot, Liberty and Earliblue.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: blueberry question

Two different kinds that bloom at the same time.

o

I think keeping them in a one gallon pot will limit their growth. I have them in a 5 or 7 gallon container and they gave me about 500 berries this year (2 plants). I just bought another one and i'm going to put it in a bigger container too.

o

Yipee,
There are a lot of great posts on container berries on this forum. As far as half-high berries, the smaller Northblue is a good choice. Even Northland, Patriot if you wanted the potential for a bigger plant. Liberty is really late and not as self fertile as Elliott of Bluecrop.

o

One gallon containers are way to small, even for lowbush varieties. Agree that 5-7 gallons is more appropriate for most varieties.

o

One note. Blueberries tend to spread roots horizontally rather then vertically. Make sure your containers are wide, rather then deep.

o

Thanks Capoman. Do you think a 23" x 6" windowbox would be best, to allow for the roots to spread? Otherwise due to my space limitations I could probably only put the plant in a 10" or so round pot....

Txx!

o

There are dwarf varieties that may work for your situation yippee,like Tophat,Northsky or Northblue. Brady

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here