Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best tasting pawpaw varieties

Posted by shane11 NC (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 29, 08 at 12:22

I would love to hear from others who have tasted different pawpaw varieties and find out what the favorites are? The best varieties I have tasted so far are overleese and 3 of Petersons varieties - shenandoah, susquehanna, and allegheny. I have not been too impressed with sunflower, wells, mitchell, mango, or prolific. Sunflower is pretty good but I have noted (at least with my lone tree) that some of its fruits can leave a slight bitter aftertaste which I am not too fond of. Some of its fruits are very good. Mango flavor is ok but texture too slimy/mushy.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best tasting pawpaw varieties

I have only had Sunflower fruit and have observed the same bitter aftertaste; otherwise it is excellent. The ones you mention are the ones people most consistently mention as best. That plus an occasional mention of Taytwo, PA Golden, NC-1 and a few others.

Scott

o

Thanks for posting Scott. I am very glad to hear that you also have noted a bitter aftertaste in sunflower. I have wondered if it was my tree since no one else seemed to notice this with their sunflower fruits. I guess everyones taster is a little different. I have also noticed the same thing with prolific, some fruits are good, others will leave a little bitter aftertaste. Overleese will never have any off flavors or strong aftertaste and is a first rate variety in my opinion. Wells can be very good flavored but is small fruited and seedy. Mitchell does not have the same quality texture or flavor as overleese nor is it as large. I have also heard that NC-1, taytwo, and sweet alice are very good but my trees have yet to bare. I may get fruit on nc-1 next year, at least I am hoping.

o

Many pawpaws have a slightly bitter aftertaste. Most of this is concentrated in the flesh right under the skin, so if you are scraping this off with spoon or teeth to eat you get it. I break pawpaws in half cross-ways (perpendicular to the long axis) and simply squeeze the contents (seeds and all) into my mouth, then spit put the seeds watermelon style. You'd have to squeeze again and hard to get the part with more aftertaste.

I think Peterson's and Mango are the best I've had, then maybe Overleese and Wells, compared to maybe a half-dozen other named ones. Some crosses I've made (Mango x Overleese) seem to have the aftertaste more in first fruit or maybe less ripe fruit, but they haven't been fruiting enough yet to tell with high confidence.

I'm getting tired of losing expensive grafted pawpaw after expensive grafted pawpaw (and crosses of these), all grown with considerable attention and trouble, all to some unknown disease. I will likely just play and experiment with survivors or locally derived plants from now on rather than buy more.

My experience with the Ky State University pawpaw researchers (three detailed emails with a question or two each, spread over a year and a half) have totaled zero responses. And this to their "write us with questions" email address and another such address for the main professor (in case the first was no longer valid) They are also suspiciously quiet about any progress on the pawpaw disease that killed their trial planting in the northwest. I'm wondering if that is what I have, given that I have received pawpaws from many different nurseries. Maybe pawpaw growing is in for some serious trouble. Admittedly, I haven't checked their site in a while, but I could tell even then that it had not been tended to in a good while.

o

I have one 'mango' planted and must say it is the fastest growing and most productive tree I have. Its fruits are also on the large size but I find their texture a little too soft for my liking though the flavor seems good. In my opinion it would be a great processing variety. Do you find your mango to be softer fleshed than others? I would bet a cross of it and overleese would be good. Keep me posted on that one. I tried 3 of Neals varieties last year and they were exceptional in every way. The best I have ever had!
Speaking of disease I have had a problem now and then where the tree looks just like it needs water. The leaves will have a limp look but water is not an issue in this case. This usually occurs on very young trees but they usually recover the following year. Others I have spoken with have not observed this problem, whatever it is.

o

Shane, I have noticed the same problem on newly planted trees, i.e. in their first year. My interpretation is the roots are not yet established well enough to feed the tree.

Gonebananas, I would like to hear about the symptoms of this disease you have so I can be on the lookout for it. My pawpaws have been extremely healthy once established. The major problem has been the limbs from the big tree above that occasionally fall on the pawpaws. The wood is very weak in comparison to other trees and they can get severely damaged.

Scott

o

Has Peterson sold any trees in the last couple of years. Every time I go to his website- no matter what time of year, it says that his trees are sold out.

o

Give me a day or two to look at all of them more closely and I'll write the symptoms.

I got two pawpaws from Peterson last April. He is still in business. Get your name on the waiting list. They REALLY are good pawpaws. I just can't keep them going after several years.

o

Rumor has it that Peterson is going to turn over his trees to another nursery and let them do the propagating, selling, and shipping. As I said this is only a rumor but it would make perfect sense if it proves to be true. I have had very good luck with his variety shenandoah and expect to get a fruit or two next year. It has been very healthy and had several blooms this year. My rappahannock from him lived through 2 winters and then croaked for no apparent reason but I have heard from several that this variety is not what it was cracked up to be having many problems. The other 5 he introduced are supposedly much improved over this one. Nonetheless I am going to give it one more try.

o

• Posted by bart1 6/7 Northern VA (My Page) on
    Sun, Jan 13, 13 at 18:25

Well, it's been about 5 years since this thread was active and I was wondering if anyone has any new favorites in the Pawpaw world?

In "Growing Fruit Naturally" (2012), Lee Reich says his favorites are PA-Golden and SAA Zimmerman.

Has anyone tried any of those? What are your current favorites for taste?

Thanks!
Bart

o

Bart,

Jerry Lehman won both in taste and biggest pawpaw for 2012.

Tony

Here is a link that might be useful: Pawpaw Fest!

o

That's great news about Jerry Lehman's varieties. I have seedlings of a cross he made of his two varieties. We should see in the next 6 years how great they will turn out to be.

Bass

o

Mon, Jan 21, 13 at 18:57

Thanks Tony!

Do you or Bass or anyone else know where to get "cu 166-13"
paw paw trees?

o

I spoke with Jerry and said he will be releasing it under a name. I am not sure if I'm suppose to say what it is yet. He said this is the second year winning. I'm sure you will find MJ available soon.

o

Jerry's largest pawpaw in the Ohio contest was 275-48, large but not so flavorful. 166-13 won the taste contest, I tasted it a few years ago and it is definitely at the top of my list.

Benny

o

Benny,
Were some of those seeds sent to me 166-13?It may not matter though,because I think they were accidentally put together with the others by me. Brady

o

Fri, Jan 25, 13 at 8:53

Does anyone have any thoughts on the more common/available varieties?

Allegheny, Overleese, PA-Golden, Potomac, Rappahannock, Shenandoah, Sunflower, Susquehanna?

I'd like to get a few trees in the ground this spring so I may not be able to wait until 166-33 comes my way.

Are any of the above wonderful, must haves and/or should I avoid any of them?

Thanks!

o

I personally like the peterson varieties, Shenandoah, Susquehanna and Rappahannock in that order. I planted the first two.

o

Bart1,

Some of these were previous test taste winners: Overleese (most often), Shenandoah,and Sunflower. Potomac and Susquehanna were the largest of Peterson pawpaws. Jerry Lehman VE-21 and CU 166-33 were the best of his 300 crosses. Like Bass said Jerry will release them soon under another name.

Tony

o

Has anybody tasted the KSU-Atwood (also known as K8-2) varity. I can find lots of stuff on the internet about how productive it is, but almost nothing on how it taste compares to other pawpaws.

Thanks

o

Nick,

"KSU-ATWOOD TM A newly released variety from Kentucky State University that combines large size and high quality fruit with few seeds and a mango aftertaste. Heaviest producing variety."
If you want to try a early ripening pawpaw then Cliff England at nuttrees.net has one called "Summer Delight - Just an average size pawpaw of 8 to 12 ounces that absolutely tastes delicious, has a yellow tinted shin that is thick, and ships and stores well. The remarkable thing about this Pawpaw is that it ripens in the last week of July to the first week of August. It is not precocious and takes 4 to 5 years to come into production. Summer Delight has a smooth textured flesh, few seeds, and a melon after taste."

Tony

o

Nick

I was at KSU a few years ago for a taste test. K8-2 came in at 7th place out of 9 varieties for the test. Wabash 1st, 3 was Susquehana, 4 was Sunflower. other places were row numbers at KSU, not named or released

Benny

o

I have tasted pa golden 1 and think it is a very good variety though its fruits are not usually very large. I would call them medium sized but I have never noted any bitter aftertaste with this one as long as they havent aged too much. I have never tasted zimmerman and I lost my tree of this one last year. I tasted rappahannock, shenandoah, and wabash this past year and they were all very good. Shenandoah is very similir to overleese and it may be more productive.

o

Hello. If i was to plant only 2 pawpaw varieties, what would you suggest?

thanks.

o

I had the same delima last fall. I only had room for two trees. I wanted two of the Peterson varieties and my final 3 were Shanandoah, Rapahannock and Susquehanna. I settled on Shanandoah and Susquehanna based upon their fruit size, number of seeds and flavor. I planted my trees in October and they are now leaved out and about two feet tall. I did not shade them and they seem to be doing fine.

o

I have heard good things about oliveese, i believe it is. I was thinking of getting one of that and a peterson variety. i have limited space, and really, only having one would be better, but there is the whole cross pollination issue. So, i have to find a way to it in two, but i can't deal with more than that.

o

Say, is it possible to plant two trees in one hole? they are clumping, right?

This post was edited by plantlover13 on Wed, Jun 19, 13 at 19:39

o

I have a Sunflower variety and heard they were self fertile.It is still young,only about three years and a little over three feet tall.
This year it had multiple flowers and I wanted to see for myself about the fertility.So I hand pollinated it,using it's own flowers and it set two clusters of about four fruit each.One group fell off and one remains. Brady

o

I dont see any reason you could not plant 2 pawpaws in the same hole or even spaced a foot or two apart. If I were short on space that is exactly what I would do.

o

will planting two in a hole affect yield too much?

o

Two in a hole basically gives you one tree in the end, so yes you would get half the yield compared to spacing them far apart.

Overleese is the variety I think you are thinking of above, its as good as any Peterson variety.

Scott

o

so do the trees graft together?

o

I would have to agree that Overleese goes to the top for flavor.

o

What about Kentucky Champion? It is supposed to be the best tasting and earliest variety. Has anybody tasted it, yet?

o

I never tasted Kentucky Champion and I haven't ever heard it mentioned as the best or one of the best. I heard it was good from the man who grafts it but I can't make that assessment for my self.

o

Just harvested some Mango pawpaws last night. I test for for ripeness by squeezing them a little bit for softness. They were very good. Sweet with tropical flavor and no aftertaste. Flesh was very light yellow and juicy around the seeds for easy removal. Excellent quality.

Tony

o

I tasted pawpaws yesterday for the first time. I ordered a box form integration acres and they finally came. I think they were really good and I am happy I have a few trees in the ground even if it will take a few more years for them to produce.

About the flavor, the first thing that I noticed was how strong they tasted. I liked it but I could see how some people may not. I don't think they taste anything like bananas. This is the most frequently mentioned flavor and to me it just wasn't there. Maybe the texture and color are more banana like but not the flavor.
They do have a little mango as well as melon flavor, but to me they were closer to a cherimoya than any other fruit, but different.
If I had to describe the flavor of them I would say they taste kind of like how a dogtooth lily smells. That's a little wild flower that grows around the rocky mountains in the spring. I know that probably doesn't help anyone out, but that is the only comparison I can make.
Over all I would have to agree with Neal Peterson that they taste every bit as good as a peach or other popular fruit. On the other hand they are so different form other fruits with their shape, texture, seeds etc. that they are a great unique addition to the home orchard. I wish I had more Greg

o

Greg,

Clean with seeds well with 1/10 solution of bleach and H2O. Place the seeds in a ziplock bag and put it in the frig. Next spring just plant the seeds in pots and place them in shaded area for a season then you will have a bunch of seedlings or use them as rootstocks to graft.

Tony

o

Has anyone been to the 2013 Ohio Pawpaw festival? I'm curious to see what pawpaws won this year in the contests. The festival is well over with but they don't seem to have their website updated yet with the results for 2013. Pawpaws are late to drop this year and there's not many of them. We had a very long cold spring so everything is about 3 weeks behind. I went and picked pawpaws from the sidewinder pawpaw patch 3 weeks ago which is late for it.

o

I went to check on the original "Halvin" pawpaw tree today to see if there was any fruit on the section of the tree I let grow out in hopes to taste the yummy fruit again. I couldn't believe it there was a ripe cluster of two hanging within reach. The fruits dropped into my hands when I touched them. You are looking at over two pounds of fruit here. The flavor was still outstanding! Sweet pineapple flavor with no bitter aftertaste.

o

Awesome!!!

o

Treebird,

Congrats on those nice size Halvin paw paws. My Mango paw paws were excellent in taste but the fruits a little smaller then your Halvin. The Sunflower paw paws were larger at10-11oz and very good. The flesh was more yellow than the Mango. PersimmonBob sent me the woods from his wild pawpaw tree and the graft is growing very fast (24" this season). My Peterson's varieties (Shanandoah & Sequelhana) just formed flower buds on several branches and hopefully I can report on how they taste next fall. Jerry Lehman VE-20 is about 3 1/2 feet tall with no flower buds yet. NC-1, Overleese, Louisiana native, and my own cross Sunman(Sunflower & Mango cross) are about 3 feet tall. I can't wait until they all produce so I can cross a bunch more.

Tony

This post was edited by tonytran on Mon, Sep 30, 13 at 21:09

o

I want to try Sunflower. It should fruit next year for me. 4 of my Peterson varieties fruited this year for the first time. I got to try Wabash, Potomac, Susquehanna, and Rappahannak. I'm not going to lie to you all, I had high expectations. They all pretty much seemed like an average pawpaw except for the Wabash. Potomac had a large fruit almost as big as Halvin but the flavor was average. Rapahannak gave me a small three cluster and it tasted the most average in flavor. I would put Wabash and Overlease at the top of the list of cultivars that I fruited here. Wabash has bright orange/yellow flesh and I really enjoy the flavor of Overlease though its size isn't that bad too. I hope to try Shenandoah, Allegheny, NC-1, Atwood,Sunflower, Summer Delight, and Prima 1216 within the next 5 years. I will keep you all posted.

o

This year Sunflower is my best, but Overleese is close. Its a bit less watery and more rich than Overleese. Rebeccas Gold is pretty mediocre in comparison, less flavor more watery. Its going to get topworked. NC-1 was another good one. My Peterson pawpaws are taking forever to fruit.

Scott

o

I wouldn't give up yet Scott. It took me about 4 years to see fruit. Of course that's with heavy watering during dry times. My sunflower had flowers on it the past two years but no fruit yet. I'm hoping next year will be the year. It is definitely a vigorous growing tree.

o

I noticed vendors selling seedling pawpaw fruits - gathered from street trees - at a local farmers market for about $5/lb. There was moderate consumer interest despite the unappealing appearance of the fruit - small with dark spots. Samples were available and the vendors found that about 50% of those who tried the fruit liked it.

So far my favorite pawpaw this year was from a seedling tree. I didn't like that it was somewhat watery, but it did have the least off-flavors and bitterness, and I was able to eat the whole thing save the skin and seeds.My largest was from the variety NC1. Truth is I haven't tried half the varieties I've harvested this year - I think I'm pawpawed out for a while. But I did enjoy a low cal almond milk based pawpaw smoothee, which I found to be free of off-flavors. Sold some to a restaurant and do get the feeling that there's enough demand from this direction to unload this and future harvests.

o

Hello everybody!

my name is Dennis and I live in the Netherlands. I have vegetable garden, and I keep looking for exotic fruit to put in there. My avocado and tiny mango tree have to stay inside for the winter, but a pawpaw tree is cold hardy! I would really love to get my hands on some seeds from the
''mango'' variety, and maybe also another variety, for pollination? Is there anybody willing to send me some seeds by post? I would be really happy with that. I don't have a lot to trade, except maybe some grafting wood from the yellow soreli kiwifruit? It's about pencil thick.

Thanks,
Dennis

o

Does anybody have any info about Jerry Lehman's pawpaws? I am interested in large, dark colored extra tasty flesh, but I am concerned about having a long enough summer to ripen them. Typically we get 150 to 180 frost free days with about 5000 growing degree days.

Last where do you get them I see England's has seeds and also scions for Maria's Joy. Is this a good tasting variety or did it win due to its size?

o

Greg
I tasted Maria's Joy several years ago, and to my taste buds it seemed like the best pawpaw I had ever eaten.

Benny

o

Benny;
Thanks for the follow up I will keep what you said in mind when my seedling pawpaw gets big enough to graft I will buy some Maria's joy scions.

Does anybody know if Wabash ripens early, mid or late season? I want to avoid any really late varieties like Susquehanna as I don't know if they will ripen in time.

As a reference my growing season is about 20 days shorter then the orchard at KSU with 400 less GDD.
I just found out that a local nursery carries Prolific and Rebecca's Gold. Are they worth it or should I plant a better variety? If these trees are bigger then mail order varieties and already adapted to my climate, hard water etc. they are potential contenders for the spot in my yard.
I have space for only one more tree and right now I have narrowed my list down to NC-1, Shenandoah, Allegheny or Wabash. My wife says to go with Allegheny for flavor and productivity but I wanted larger less seedy fruit. Also my family tended to like the stronger flavored pawpaws that we tasted last year. Any recommendations?

o

I would avoid prolific. I never tried Rebecca's gold. Prolific has a bitter aftertaste and is quite seedy. I top worked mine after the second year it produced fruit. Halvin had less seed than my Susquehanna but this was the first year Susquehanna produced for me. My Susquehanna was hand pollinated by Halvin and those seeds went into the ground last fall. We'll see if we get some sprouts : )

o

Wabash is an early to mid season ripening variety in my NC climate. Prolific nor Rebeccas gold are near as good as any of Petersons varieties in my opinion. Also sunflower, NC-1, and overleese are much better. Allegheny is early ripening and productive but the fruits are small to medium sized. Size of fruits may increase with the age of the tree I dont know. My allegheny is still fairly young. They are very good tasting. Rappahannock really impressed me last year being very productive and with medium to large fruits and excellent flavor. It is also an early ripening variety. Overleese and shenandoah are fairly early ripening. Sunflower and prolific are late ripening for me.

o

Thanks for the info I like to see what people really think without all of the marketing hype you get from the retailers. Also information about ripening times is a huge bonus because it is so hard to find it on the web. With so many recommendations I might just have to flip a coin, but right now I am leaning toward Wabash.

This post was edited by gregkdc1 on Tue, Feb 25, 14 at 23:08

o

Has anyone tried the Cambells no 1 variety from Burnt Ridge nursery?

o

I've ordered mango, sunflower and something just called 'paw paw' from Stark bros. Can anyone tell me how big these trees end up being when mature? Very excited to try some fruit someday. Thanks.

o

Deedles.

I have a 8 yrs old Mango paw paw from Starkbros about 13 feet tall. Very tasty and light yellow flesh.

Tony

This post was edited by tonytran on Sun, Jun 8, 14 at 22:27

o

I first encountered PawPaws growing wild last September in Lincoln County, Kentucky so I picked a few. I thought they were like American Chestnut or Butternuts almost extinct for one reason or another until I found those last September.

Afterwards I asked my mom as her family ate them when she was a kid and they ate them the way I did, picked off the tree and the white flesh has a clean taste but only very faintly of bananas. I since found that most people like them as soft and mushy and deep orange and those have a mango like taste. Since I don't like mangos or papayas I'll get the ones off the trees so they taste more like watered down bananas.

o

Hi Treebird:
How does Halvin compare in terms of ripening order.
Is it a mid ripening pawpaw as compared to the other cultivars you fruited? I'm in Illinois, near the Illinois-Wisconsin border about 1 mile from Lake Michigan.
Last year, my first Shenandoah ripened in mid-October and the last one was around late October. My first Sunflower fruit ripened around late October and the last one ripened during mid November. Overleese was between the two. So, I'm looking for early to mid ripening varieties. Summer Delight seems to be a good one to have here. My other varieties, KSU-Atwood, Mango, NC-1, Susquehanna are not fruit bearing size yet. Thanks.
Ben
Beach Park, IL

o

Well Ben, The Halvin pawpaw is from the most northern pawpaw growing natural range but I haven't really paid much attention to ripening in comparison to others here. This weekend I'm going foraging in a new area of Missouri where Lewis and Clark thrived on pawpaws near the Missouri river. The forest there looks VERY promising! Hopefully I can make some great discoveries. Historically the Native Americans relished pawpaws in this area so there should be some great genetic potential. More pictures are coming hopefully soon.

o

This is a bad year for my paw-paw's,because of the drought. Fruits are small and not very good tasting.The good new's is that the wild one i allways go to in september(between 5-11 sept.) are allways better than my nursery bought tree's by a wide margin.One fruit left!!!

o

This is a bad year for my paw-paw's,because of the drought. Fruits are small and not very good tasting.The good new's is that the wild one i allways go to in september(between 5-11 sept.) are allways better than my nursery bought tree's by a wide margin.One fruit left!!!

o

That's a bummer Bob. This year was actually one of the wettest here in Southwest Iowa but the majority of the rain came after the actual growing part part of the season. Is that fruit you're gathering this year from the big one you posted a picture of last year? I might need a few sticks of scion this spring from you. I'm excited to go on a forage tomorrow! Finally the pawpaws are ready!

o

Treebird, that is correct.There are several area's i go to,but i quit going there. Most of them taste the same.The one in question are close to home less than a mile.Paw-paw's here are pretty much done. Next are my asian persimmon,they start at the end of the month into December.
Good luck,Bob.

o

persimmonbob,
Is there any chance of getting a few seeds of your wild one? Brady

o

PersimmonBob, Treebird, and all.

I got some good quality paw paws this year but the production was down due to the harsh winter of -15F. Here are some photos of them. Mango paw paw.

Tony

o

Jerry Lehman VE-21

o

Peterson's Shenandoah paw paw

o

Tony,
When did your trees first start producing,about how tall were they?Is it available to get a picture of a whole tree?Nice looking fruit.Thanks,Brady

o

Brady

The Mango paw paw is about 7 yrs old. Jerry Lehman VE -21 I grafted to the mango about 4 yrs ago. The Shenandoah and Susquehanna I grafted to a 2 years old seedlings about 4 yrs ago

Mango paw paw photo

Tony

o

The Shenandoah is on the left and the Susquehanna is on the right. They both are 5 1/2 feet tall.

Tony

o

Brady, sure i send you seeds just let me know.

o

PersimmonBob

Here is your wild paw paw scion I grafted on a 2 years old Mango seedling 2 years ago.

Tony

o

Very Nice Tony! Is there any way I could get some Susquehanna and Shenandoah seed from you? The original Halvin tree is dead as of this year but the legacy lives on through many friends and myself who've grafted it. I have no fruits here at home this year because of the extreme cold weather and I even lost a few trees here. Here is our bounty from the wild today. Some nice pawpaws but nothing in comparison to Halvin. Don't mind the old spice deodorant its there for size comparison.

o

Here's what's left of the Halvin pawpaw tree. This was a biggun.

o

The rings say it all. This tree had a good long life for a pawpaw.

o

I have a Shenandoah and a Susquehanna that are two years old and about three feet tall. They are beautiful trees with dark green leaves. Whe should I expect fruit?

o

Treebird I will email you later.

Charlie

The Shenandoah fruited for the first time after four years of being grafted. They started to flowers around five feet tall. The Susquehanna flowers all dropped so no fruits on it this year.

Tony

o

You guys are so lucky, I can't wait until my trees are old enough to fruit. Buying them online is expensive but it is the only way I can get them.

P.S keep the pawpaw porn coming!

o

Tony,
Those are nice looking trees and fruit.Thanks for posting.

Thanks persimmonbob,I'll send an email.

That was a big tree,maybe 25-30 years?I wonder what age the Kentucky Champion is? Brady

o

Treebird,

Are you the one that found and shared the Halvin originally?

o

Yes I am milehighgirl. I know all there is to know about the tree if you have any questions.

o

I'd like to get some pawpaw seeds from someone. I am tired of buying expensive Peterson pawpaw that don't survive but a year. If anyone has seeds from early ripening cultivars I'd really appreciate some. Send me a PM.

Maybe once I learn what they need from me in my climate I will invest again.

o

Yeah, I had several die back this past winter. At one point I thought the small potted pawpaw trees would do better but now as time goes on I see that the bareroot pawpaws from Nolin river are Double the size of the little RPM trees from Forrest Keeling. Seeds shouldn't be hard to come by. If you've ever split open a pawpaw there are plenty.

o

treebird, I've never even seen a pawpaw fruit. The last ones I bought were from Forrest Keeling and I was very disappointed. They did well in the summer but didn't survive the winter even garaged. Tiny little things.

I guess I am driven by curiosity.

o

Milehighgirl;
If you are truly done with grafted varieties I would recommend buying some fruit from integration acres. I think they are still selling them and this way you will get a chance to see if you like them. Afterwords if you do like them then don't let the seeds dry out, stratify them in your crisper for 100 days and plant them.
I started some last year and had about a 90% germination rate. I have found a home for all of them and I'm waiting till their big enough to transplant.
One thing that I am surprised about is some of them are growing fairly fast while others are really slow. I think it speaks to the fact the fast ones are more adapted to my environment.

o

Milehighgirl - I have two paw paw seedlings in pots that I germinted this spring. I have intended to trade them for something I need, such as jujube cuttings. By chance, do you grow jujubes?

o

Yeah, lately I've been very disappointed with Forrest Keeling trees. They weren't always as small as they are now. You can't go wrong with Nolin River Nursery. Just make sure you water liberally the first two years. Going the seed route is not a bad idea but I would get your seed from a known cultivar. I think Kentucky state University can hook you up. I can see a burst of great new pawpaw cultivars showing up in the future because of avid seed planters. Not all your wild pawpaws are superior in quality, believe me. So definitely get seed from a reliable source of known cultivars.

o

Largely inspired by this thread (I'm a long-time lurker), I've just recently ordered a trio of pawpaws to plant (along with a trio of American persimmons). I've just ordered seedlings (from Nativ Nurseries), but I'm thinking it might behoove me to keep a couple of good sites available for an Overleese and either a Susquehanna or a Shenandoah from Nolin's. I can't tell from the website if they're grafted or from seed, but I'm not sure if that's something I need concern myself with. I don't have much space, and have at least 6 more trees I'd like to plant on our property; are those two my best bets as far as named cultivars go for eating?

o

Zach,

Nolin's has grafted pawpaw.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here