Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shane11_gw

Best tasting pawpaw varieties

shane11
15 years ago

I would love to hear from others who have tasted different pawpaw varieties and find out what the favorites are? The best varieties I have tasted so far are overleese and 3 of Petersons varieties - shenandoah, susquehanna, and allegheny. I have not been too impressed with sunflower, wells, mitchell, mango, or prolific. Sunflower is pretty good but I have noted (at least with my lone tree) that some of its fruits can leave a slight bitter aftertaste which I am not too fond of. Some of its fruits are very good. Mango flavor is ok but texture too slimy/mushy.

Comments (225)

• Wayne Zhou
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I am wondering if now is still a good time to plant pawpaw trees in ground in my zone (Maryland, 6B)? The temperature is getting lower. I actually prefer to wait for next spring. But it seems that many nurseries run out of pawpaw trees very quickly in spring, while now it is relatively easy to get a few.

• Jennifer
    8 years ago

Thank you Shane and Tony. I think you have sold me on buying the Mango, Shenandoah, and Overleese. I heard that a guy named Jerry Lehman had some good varieties. Has anyone tried or grown any of them?

• shane11
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I have not grown any of Jerry Lehman's varieties but I know he has a few very good ones.

• Tony
    8 years ago

I have a Lehman VE-21. Sweet, yellow flesh, and large cluster of 5. England Orchard is carrying it.

Tony

• longaeva54
    8 years ago

Which of these pawpaws Pa Golden 2 and NC1 to choose for taste and early riping? Thanks.

• shane11
    Original Author
    8 years ago

They both ripen early, NC-1 has much better quality and larger fruit but pa golden is more productive.

• Charlie
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I lived a total of 16 years in Italy and still go back to visit once a year. My favorite varieties are the Peterson varieties. I have a shanandoah and a susquehana.

• Charlie
    8 years ago

A guy named Peterson used varieties that he found in the forest to create six new varieties. His goal was to create larger fruit, with less seeds, that had a longer shelf life in order to allow commercialization. I doubt that he achieved his goals, but he did create some good paw paw varieties. Where are you in Italy? I lived in northern Italy in various locations and a year in Tivoli.

• creekweb
    8 years ago

Common knowledge that thinning most fruits improves fruit quality, but this is especially the case with certain fruits like plums and peaches but also with pawpaws. My best fruit this past year grew on a seedling tree, but it was the only fruit on the tree - this, rather than its lineage, probably accounted for its superiority. Jim Davis, the premier pawpaw grower in the US, grows pawpaws which are IMO a step above most others that I've tried. He, according to the author Andy Moore, thins so that he harvests only about 15 pounds of fruit per tree, where a mature tree is capable of producing over 50 pounds of fruit per year. His orchard includes Peterson varieties, but also a number of the older, often maligned varieties, so it seems that the process of thinning fruit may be more important in determining fruit quality than the genetics of the variety.

• Charlie
    8 years ago

Eugenio - My guess is you will need to hand polinate.

• Jennifer
    8 years ago

Has anyone bought any new varieties this year? I hear that KSU is releasing a new one. I just bought the Halvin variety and I understand Jerry Lehman is going to patent his first two Paw Paws. I guess he is taking the Peterson's patent approach.

• shane11
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I have not ordered any new ones but understand Hidden Springs in TN is offering a new one called 'Lehman's chiffon', I do not know anything about this one but sounds interesting. I know Jerry Lehman has several varieties he has selected. England's Orchard in KY was offering 1 or 2 but I don't think they are this year. There is a variety in the new book by Andrew Moore called (I believe) 'Ark 21' that sounds very good but I am not aware of anyone selling it. According to the book it was a favorite in Louisiana compared with many other varieties. Raintree nursery is offering an old but rare variety called 'Ford Amend' this year. This one was selected in the northwest US so it may ripen sooner than others.

• tyler_j
    8 years ago

I have a bunch of hybrid seed sprouting right now from Cliff @ England's Orchard.. VE-21 x Jerry's Big Girl (250-39), VE-21 x 275-48 and Maria's Joy x Jerry's Big Girl (250-39).

Maybe in 8-10 years I'll be able to enjoy some fruit from them :)

• rfrissora
    7 years ago

A quick question regarding Pollination: I have two young Pawpaw trees and a few years ago I harvested only one fruit. I saved the seeds from this fruit, planted them and now have six new saplings. Will these new saplings be able to cross pollinate each other -as they all came from the same fruit? or will I need to introduce a totally new variety.?

• Tony
    7 years ago

Seedling Pawpaws can pollinate each other and not like a clone tree.

Tony

• mirweeb26
    7 years ago

Hello I'm new to this site & thread. I purchased pawpaw seeds on Amazon & followed instructions to the letter, not one germinated. I never see pawpaws at nurseries in my area ( southeastern CT, zone 6b) but would very much like to buy one- two if needed for pollination but I have limited space. I'm guessing after reading all the comments if I only buy one it should be mango? And if I add another perhaps a Susquehanna. I don't have a ton of $ so I'd like to get a young tree or seedling that will live and produce fruit. I just don't know where to purchase ( not going though Amazon again!) I saw a few recommended people to buy from but no links... Can anyone point me in the right direction? I'm a novice gardener and very interested in fruit trees. I have a peach tree but squirrels eat them all, I've tried everything lol. Paw paws look so good, I've never had one though! Thankyou for your input.

• shane11
    Original Author
    7 years ago

If you are interested in fruit quality I would suggest only planting grafted varieties as with most any other fruit. They are more expensive but they are worth it in the long run. One Green World nursery is a great source for grafted trees as they ship them in containers and that is by far the best way to get them started. Also a grafted tree will produce fruit sooner than a random seedling.

• Johan Flygare
    7 years ago

I am determined to start growing Pawpaws in southern Sweden (Lund). I am hoping the reason I never saw any here is not because people tried and failed:)

The winters we get are what you get in USDA Zone 7, but our summers are more like northern Maine (average temperature in July is 70°F). I guess this climate does not exist in the US but an early ripening varitety is probably necessary. I have a couple of questions for this experienced crowd.

1. What should I consider/do you recommend regarding varieties to get?

2. Anyone from northern Europe (or northeast coast US) with experience?

Thanks!

/Johan

• tucsonken
    7 years ago

My climate is very different from yours, but the approach I used may work for you. Rather than starting out with named varieties, you might consider beginning with seeds and find out how they do. In spring of 2012 I germinated a dozen or so seeds on moist Perlite in a clear plastic container; as soon as root tips appeared, I planted them outdoors in native soil. I lost about half of them, but the two biggest currently have small flower buds. If your seedlings grow, you could graft named varieties onto some or all of them in a couple of years.

• Eric B
    6 years ago

Has anyone tried the KSU-ATWOOD variety? I'm growing a tree but it is only about 2-3 feet tall so it will be awhile before I'll have any pawpaws to taste & try :)

• BiloxiGuy
    6 years ago

Hello - This post is fascinating - I am in Mississippi Gulf Coast and looking for recommendations for your experience and the best overall varieties that you would want in your yard. I have room for about 12 trees. I have 4 trees now - 2 seedlings from LSU trials, Shenandoah and Lynn's favorite. 2017 was my 1st harvest of shenandoah and seedlings.

I have sprouted several seedlings and I want to graft on good varieties...of course, I'm looking for scions of favorites.

So, could you tell me what are your top 10 favorites? and would you share/sell some graftwood.

Thanks Jose in Biloxi, MS

• BiloxiGuy
    6 years ago

Hello - This post is fascinating - I am in Mississippi Gulf Coast and looking for recommendations for your experience and the best overall varieties that you would want in your yard. I have room for about 12 trees. I have 4 trees now - 2 seedlings from LSU trials, Shenandoah and Lynn's favorite. 2017 was my 1st harvest of shenandoah and seedlings.

I have sprouted several seedlings and I want to graft on good varieties...of course, I'm looking for scions of favorites.

So, could you tell me what are your top 10 favorites? and would you share/sell some graftwood.

Thanks Jose in Biloxi, MS

• tucsonken
    6 years ago

Seems like a lot of online plant discussions are shifting more toward facebook groups, so you may also want to float your questions on either of these:

Pawpaw Fanatics: https://www.facebook.com/groups/927257504078942/

Pawpaw Fanclub: https://www.facebook.com/groups/589509554496020/

• BiloxiGuy
    6 years ago

Ken , Thanks I will visit those sites - i joined the North American Paw Paw Growers Assoc. this year.

• BiloxiGuy
    6 years ago

Ken - thanks again - I'm now a member of both FB groups. I have a gardening friend in Tucson (a transplant from South Louisiana) message me on FB if you want to connect with him. TJ Testman

• TJ Testman
    5 years ago

Hi folks I ran across this post tonight while looking for a comprehensive list of pawpaw varieties - I have a couple of scions don't know the source and the tags are not legible - thought maybe I could identify if I could look at a list? oh well .

Anyway, I have a grafting question. Pawpaw seem very graft friendy But, have not had any luck adding multiple varieties to a pawpaw tree - Anyone know the secret?

Thanks,

Jose

• Eric B
    5 years ago

Hey Jose. I have a seedling tree that I planted in 2016 (it’s the largest tree I have now at around 6+ ft tall at its tallest). I managed to graft onto 2 branches so far. I did cleft grafting which has been the easiest method for me. Look into cleft grafting. Also - you want to graft when the tree is actively growing so depending on your zone that’s when the small leaves are starting to emerge like shoots and swell. For me in zone 7 it’s usually the first or second week of May. You want to wrap the graft firmly and tightly with parafilm you can get from amazon or a nursery. Besides that store your scionwood in the fridge in a slightly damp bedding or paper towel and make sure it doesn’t mold or freeze. Good luck!!

• TJ Testman
    5 years ago

Eric B - Thanks, I'm in zone 9A, my largest seedling was planted in 2013 and is about 16 ft tall, full of flowers and pushing leaves. I've already collected pollen but the flowers on my other trees are behind and not ready. Tags on PawPaw grafts from prior years were done in late Feb thru early Apr . May is too late and too hot for grafting around here.

I have had good success cleft or bark grafting to the main trunk - when the scion has apical dominance.

I've made several apple, pear, citrus and persimmon multi-variety trees and I want to make a multi-variety pawpaw tree by grafting onto branches. However, although the limb grafts will take on pawpaw trees, the lower grafts end up being rejected or overcome by the rootstock. Anyone else have this problem or a soution?

• TJ Testman
    5 years ago

Shane11 - In Your 2016 post you said " There is a variety in the new book by Andrew Moore called (I believe) 'Ark 21' that sounds very good but I am not aware of anyone selling it. According to the book it was a favorite in Louisiana compared with many other varieties"

I'm interested in finding / getting a copy of Andrew Moore's new book?. Can you tell me where I may get a copy and what is the title?

I've met several lousiana pawpaw lovers who were involved with the regional pwapaw trials at LSU (Charlie Johbson, Jerry Dedon, Tom Mann) they all confirm that Ark-21 was the hands down favorite at the early LSU taste testing. The LSU orchard was planted with the named cutivars selected by the other regions. But also had a row of Arkansas seedings taken from the Petit Jean mountain in Arkansas. Sadly, written records for the LSU trials have been lost. However, three of the Arkansas varities were saved in backyard orchards (Ark 9, 10 and 21)

Thanks Jose

• vincentkim8b
    4 years ago

Any of you have experience about Wells pawpaw and Taytwo pawpaw. ? I have 2 of those in Seattle areas. Thank you.

• TJ Testman
    4 years ago

vincent - there is some discussion of varieties, taste, etc. on this thread if you back up to 2015.. I am interested in reaching those people who have created pawpaw variety trees - i.e. a pawpaw tree with multiple grafted varieties.. I think Eric B and maybe others claim they have been successful. I'd like to get some pointers...

• Eric B
    4 years ago

Hey! Yes I have NC-1 and Sunflower grafted in two separate branches as individual branches. All I did was wait till it was warmer and leaves are pushing out as shoots and small leaves and then did cleft grafting and wrapped with parafilm. Head onto Facebook and search Pawpaw Fanatics and add yourself to that group. A lot of people are there to answer questions and share in the love of Pawpaws lol.

• Eric B
    4 years ago

I don’t have Taytwo or Wells I’m sorry but there’s definitely many other people with more experience than me in the group. Resources for more information include Neal Peterson’s Peterson’s Pawpaws website search for and KSU Pawpaw on internet.

• vincentkim8b
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Thank you so much TJ and Eric.

i also have NC1 and Sunflower, Shenandoah and PA Golden. just wonder how theirs ripening in Seattle areas where the summer is very cool.

Thank again for all recommending . Vincent

• TJ Testman
    4 years ago

Eric B - Thanks - I'm in those FB groups and joined the NAPGA. how old are your grafts? I'm asking because it seems that pawpaws are really touchy about apical dominance and I've had problems adding more than one variety to a tree...I have done that with pear and apple trees. Are your grafts on branches of equal height?

• Eric B
    4 years ago

im only adding the two varieties and letting the seedling portion grow most of it with just 2 branches of other varieties. I plan to prune so that seedling portion doesn’t overpower and allows the grafts to grow with the tree. I did my grafts in 2017 and 2018 when the tree was still young and small. I did the branches lowest on the trunk so the sap would feed them more. I figured that made sense. Who knows. They’re alive so far and growing with the rest of the tree.

• TJ Testman
    4 years ago

Thank you for that info

• creekweb
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I have made several multigrafted Pawpaw trees that have survived a number of years. The only way that I have been able to make this work is by grafting onto a tree with multiple apical branches and grafting all branches at one setting. This has actually worked well for me. But when I deviate from this plan, say by leaving one apical branch and grafting the others, all grafts have failed. Also, grafting onto laterals has not worked for me.

• blakrab Centex
    4 years ago

Anyone have Allegheny seeds, which won this taste test? Or seeds from any other good variety?

• Gianni Marte
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

charlie posso coltivare asimina in sud italia ^?

• Charlie Boring
    3 years ago

Si, credo che si puo coltivare in sud italia. Negli stati uniti asimina esiste da texas nella sud. Quest'anno la mia Shenandoah ha multi fruti.

• Charlie Boring
    3 years ago

Gianni, ho ricevuto un messagio da lei, pero no poso rispondere. Lai ha scrito, "ciao , scusa se ti disturbo ho visto che coltivi asimina vorrei
    comperaRNRE UN PAIO, quale mi consigli ^? quelle di peterson sono
    davvero migliori quelle tradizionali nc1, prima 1216 etc." i tipi che sono piu grande sono Susquhanna e Shanandoah. Io ho imparata il Shanandoah puo fare fruta sensa un altra albero.

• Gianni Marte
    3 years ago

THANKS :-) QUINDI MI CONSIGLI DI COMPERARE SUSQUHANNA O SHANANDOAH RISPETTO A NC1 , ANCHE LA CONSERVABILITA' CREDO SIA MAGGIORE

• Charlie Boring
    3 years ago

Gianni, in realita, non conosco NC1, pero, credo che SUSQUHANNA O SHANANDOAH sono i migliore. Tutti paw paw non hanno buon conservabilita`. Deve mangiare in 4 giorni dal momento che loro sono pronti o tira via la polpa e mete nel frigo.

• Stephen Buttars
    3 years ago

I am in Utah and just learned what a paw paw is. What an interesting fruit. Does anyone have some seeds they want to send me? I will gladly send you the funds to get them from yoit house to mine.

• Charlie
    3 years ago

I have a few seeds from my Shenandoah pawpaw tree. It self pollinated; so, I am sure that they are true Shenandoah. Although most experts have told me that the Shenandoah requires another variety for pollination, I have found this not to be true. I believe that what happens is that the late blooms pollinate the early blooms on the same tree. Do you have something else you would like to trade? Send me an email. Here is a picture of my tree. This year I harvested 10 fruit and none of my other pawpaw varieties bloomed.

• tucsonken
    3 years ago

You may want to join the Pawpaw Fanatics Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/927257504078942/. 

• Matt
    3 years ago

anybody have any experience with the ksu atwood or chappel varieties? flavor and productivity?

• HU-490717969
    3 years ago

I am new to planting and growing pawpaws. I will be planting my first ones this Spring.

I ordered 4 KSU Atwoods (SKU 2710) and 4 KSU Benson (SKU 2711) trees today for April delivery in Petoskey, Michigan.

Like Matt, I would like to know more about these KSU varieties. Size?, Taste, rate of growth, productivity. I ordered them from One Green World in Portland - these were the only Peterson varieties they had available. I may call One Green World tomorrow to ask them these questions but I thought someone on this site might be willing to share their experience or to share what they have heard.

I am opening up a standing 2 acre cedar tree lot and have room for more pawpaws ao, when available, I may add several other Peterson varieties this Fall.

Any advice or comments would be appreciated. - Bob Wiley

• HU-490717969
    3 years ago

Answering my own question above: I found this on the Onegreenworld website ...

Benson: Another newly released variety introduced by the Kentucky State University breeding program, KSU-Benson™ Pawpaw ripens in mid- season and is prized for it incredibly heavy crops, 150 or more fruit per tree, and rich and delicious flavor.

Atwood: The first variety introduced from the Kentucky State University breedingits program, KSU-Atwood™ Pawpaw ripens in mid- season and is prized for it incredibly heavy crops, 150 or more fruit per tree, and rich and delicious flavor.

Any additional advice or comments would be appreciated. - Bob Wiley