Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Which one of these cherries should I plant

Posted by ljkewlj 6b s.e. ct. (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 18, 14 at 12:25

Hi everyone

Need some advice on which one of these cherries on Newroot-1 rootstock I should plant since I only have room for one more. I currently have two bing xtra dwarf cherries and one nugent cherry tree. I live in SE CT. and would to also know why which one based on your choice.

Black Tartarian
Craig's Crimson
Lapins
Rainier
Stella
Sweetheart

Thanks
ljkewlj

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Which one of these cherries should I plant

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 18, 14 at 12:51

Of those Lapins. But it's a lot like Bing. You should look into Whitegold, Blackgold, Blackpearl, Burgundypearl, Ebonypearl, and Radiancepearl. Those six were bred and tested in NY. They should be better adapted to your conditions, Bing and such clearly aren't.

o

• Posted by Drew51 5b/6a SE MI (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 18, 14 at 13:58

Sweetheart also is fairly good for the area. I want to try Lapin's myself. Although I would pick Whitegold as it is a Rainier like cherry, but probably easier to grow than Rainier. As you have dark cherries already. Although I want a Rainier too! I have Whitegold. It's a new plant, so no comments. it's growing really well though. First year in ground. I lost a Whitegold to canker, this is a replacement. Grandpa's Nursery replaced it for free.
On Gisela 5

o

Bing is not a good choice for the east, if you learn how to graft you may want to convert one or both of them. I did that with my two Bings years ago. Many others on your list are also not good east coast cherries. Cherries have a strong tendency to crack and rot and you need crack resistant varieties. Black Tartarian has been OK for me. Black and White Gold are my standards, they are good tasting cherries and crack less than most. Many people like Lapins. I didn't get very tasty cherries off it but it died before I could really see how it would do.

Scott

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here