Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sour blueberries

Posted by stargazer_1118 Zone 7-Cape Cod (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 18, 07 at 12:26

I have over 50 blueberry plants and the berries are sour. These are well established plants and there are LOTS of pine trees around. Is there anything I can do?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sour blueberries

• Posted by billv z6 WVA (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 18, 07 at 12:57

Maybe wait a week for them to get ripe?

o

Stargazer:

Agree with Billy. Blueberries with a reddish color around the stem end are not ripe, and will always be tart. Blueberries left on the bush to become fully deep blue will nearly always be sweet, but, unfortunately, that's when the birds like them most.

Don Yellman, Great Falls, VA

o

Let them ripen more. We have finally more berries than the birds can eat. We picked them pink for several years before the birds got to them. The pinks turn blue in the house but never get sweet. We cooked with sour blueberries. Intense sour fruit flavor for cooking with sugar but not for eating.
We always lost the blue sweet ones to birds until this year the bushes got so big that the birds could not eat the sweet ones. We pick the blue blue ones now daily or twice daily. We have two giant tall bush now about 8 feet tall.

o

Blueberries will NOT sweeten any after picking. Look for a dark navel, not the color of the fruit. Fruit can be dark, but the navel pinkish, and it will be sour. Also, ripe sweet berries will literally fall of in your hand when you are picking. I also learned the hard way. Don Mikeska, Bastrop Tx.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here