Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to prune this grape vine?

Posted by schoolhouse z5/ohio (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 22, 14 at 12:27

This ancient grape vine took a beating this winter. It appeared dead, I made up my mind to cut it down but kept putting it off for sentimental reasons I guess. But suddenly the other day I notice new growth! Can you tell by the photos how I should proceed with pruning? Should I wait until possible more new growth appears? Cut off all the top of the vine on the arbor? they certainly look like toast. The green foliage at the bottom of the pic(s) is phlox planted nearby. There is no new grape vine foliage at the bottom. Thanks.

photo 100_5469.jpg

photo 100_5468.jpg

photo 100_5470.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to prune this grape vine?

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 22, 14 at 12:40

Leave it alone for now. Next spring cut off all the dead and keep the strongest live canes that grew this yr to make a new vine. Those new shoots a few ft off the ground look like the best to keep.

o
RE: How to prune this grape vine?

Thank you. I will take your advice and not do any cutting until next Spring.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here