Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Why are these watermelon leaves yellowing??

Posted by edweather Zone 5a/b upstate NY (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 24, 12 at 12:36

I have three 18 gallon containers with watermelons in them. Using basically the 511 mix...pine bark, peat and perlite. Used some granular fertilizer a couple of times during the season (a little heave on the P for watermelons), and also use a liquid fertilizer at 1/4 strength at every watering, which is about once per day. In the past couple of weeks, these leaves are showing some yellowing, and I have not been able to slow or reverse the trend. This is the only container that's doing this. Any suggestions? I'd like to keep the plant alive for another 6 weeks if possible. There are still 4 melons that need to mature. Thanks. Ed.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Why are these watermelon leaves yellowing??

You have yellow leaves with green vains this iron lack of its called christmas tree as veins show shape of christmas tree.

You need a teaspoon liquid iron in gallon water spray leaves first pour rest in pot iron not Mobil from leaves back to other parts of plant so all leave need good cover spray to correct color and soil applied take care future sprayed leaves show next day as improvement Iron plays big roll in sweetness of fruits alone with low sulfur leaves in great condition make sugar for melons spray all you plants.

o

The yellowing might just be old age! Nothing lives for ever. We harvested the Cream Of Saskatchewan today and it was a little overripe. Seedlings were only set out in early May. Hadn't even reached the maturity date yet. So I immediately plucked the Sugar baby. That should be better. I think that sitting on top of the container in this hot summer ripened them a little faster than normal. Still 3 more COS to go, but they formed much later than the first one, so hopefuly the plant will hang on for another month or so.

o

Thanks for response gator rider2. We must have been typing at same time. Where can I get liquid iron? From garden center maybe?

o

Any garden center should have liquid iron in small bottle like Ortho product wal-mart has iron up until christmas take over garden department then garden center products go in dumpsters minus small display over by cat and dog products lol.

o

OK, thanks. I'll pick some up and let you know how it works. Thanks again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here