Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sqirrels

Posted by guate z4 nh (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 27, 13 at 12:45

I always wondered why everyone on the forum had problems with squirrels in their apple trees. For forty years of having apples, I've never hade the problem. There have always been squirrels around especially in the bird feeders. The feeders were taken down last year because the squirrels were getting into the partition of the house. My apple tree was loaded this year grafted with two types. Two days ago, a red squirrel goes hopping by with an apple and yesterday a gray was caught going up a pine tree with an apple. They've taken every one of probably 50 of the yellow variety and are probably waiting for the northern spy to get a little riper. I've ordered 2 havahart traps and 2 snap-e rat traps. Hope I get them before I lose the rest of the apples. Hope the traps work!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sqirrels

The squirrels here were breeding like rats over the winter. Then the young hawks showed up on their training flights.

Suddenly, no squirrels in sight.

They're creeping back out now, though, now that the hawks have moved on. I'd like more hawks.

o
RE: Sqirrels

You'll need a stronger spring trap for gray squirrels but many have success trapping them in live traps. Drown them and they die very quickly without much suffering, it seems.

Usually they don't bother my apples either- go for stonefruit and pears instead. They tend to favor early apples and N. Spy might be too acidic for them. Depends on how desperate they are.

Last year they did go for my Jonagolds quite early as well as Honeycrisps, of course. This year they are absolutely no issue, so far.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here