Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
HELP!!! Name This Bug

Posted by lawanddisorder 6 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 2, 13 at 12:47

I have two peach trees and two nectarine trees that are affected by what I believe to be peach twig borers, though for all I know it could be that moth that affects stone fruit, or who knows what else.

A bunch of the new shoots started wilting and dying back. I cut all affected shoots and sprayed entire tree with a neem oil, as recommended by my local nursery.

Upon closer inspection, this is what I discovered...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HELP!!! Name This Bug

Here is closeup of some of the damaged growth...

o

Here is what i think is the wretched fly that is spawning the larva eating the growth...

o

...and finally the little b@stard larva eating my trees.

o

Borer? Nail them with spinosad.

o

The fly attacks fruits.
The chewer is a caterpillar, and entirely different creature.

o

I think that's an Oriental Fruit Moth larvae. 95% sure. Wait for one of the pros to confirm.

o

• Posted by kngskid Georgia zone 7b (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 2, 13 at 21:42

I am not a pro but I can confirm tmunson's answer as correct. You have OFM damage and its larvae. You didn't say if you have fruit on the trees but if you do you will need more than neen oil to combat OFM. Those little worms will destroy your entire crop.

I wasn't able to keep up my spray regime and each and every peach had a worm in it.

o

• Posted by kngskid Georgia zone 7b (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 2, 13 at 21:43

I am not a pro but I can confirm tmunson's answer as correct. You have OFM damage and its larvae. You didn't say if you have fruit on the trees or not but those little worms can destroy an entire crop.

I wasn't able to keep up my spray regime and each and every peach had a worm in it.

This post was edited by kngskid on Tue, Jul 2, 13 at 21:50

o

Very nice work with the camera.

I am not sure what the fly-like critter is but I saw a few of those in my peach trees this weekend. It does not look like the OFM adult pictures I looked up online.

And despite spraying regularly with Triazicide (best I have ever managed to keep up a regular spray schedule despite the rain), I have now an outbreak of OFM in my peach trees. What do you do when the scheduled sprays are not working? What is the 'go-to' insectacide to combat a spray failure?

o

So, I guess the consensus is that it's OFM rather than Peach Twig Borer. Either way, I guess I need to put the neem oil away and get Spinosad or Sevin?

I was reading about the spray schedule, and since I wasn't monitoring them with traps, how do I know when to spray?

Should I do one of those Bayer systemic insecticides, too? (Is spinosad systemic? I'm reading conflicting data)

o

my peach tree had the exact same damage. I am just going try spraying BT every week and hope for the best

You can use this link below to get some helpful info

http://www.ehow.com/info_8639064_peach-tree-bug-spray.html

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here