Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
new to grafting !!!

Posted by sunsetparker 6B (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 17, 14 at 12:57

i have a 1 and half year old tree from a hachiya persimmon seed, and i want it to be my rootstock for my fuyu scion.
what grafting method is best for it to survive ? should i do two grafts so even 1 dies, i would still have 1 left, or I can only do 1 graft at a time ?

and one more question:

i watched a video on youtube, and there's a farmer in Taiwan emphasized that grafting also catalyzes aging of the plant, and he did many experiments on seedlings that he cut the tip off the young tree, and removed the middle part, and he used the lower part as rootstock and grafted the tip onto it, the results came out that the grafted plant bears flowers the next year.
my question is, is that really possible ? has anyone tried this before ?

here is the link, but it's in chinese:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ykM62V4nKk

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: new to grafting !!!

I like bark graft for larger persimmon rootstock and wedge graft for smaller persimmon rootstock. If you decided to use Kaki rootstock then the persimmon tree won't be as winter hardy as a native persimmon rootstock. After care is important, make sure yoiu rub off all the new growths below the graft union to ensure all the energy goes toward the grafted tree.

Tony

o

Tony:

thank you for the advice, and do you know what happens when you graft the scion to the same tree(remove the middle part), does it accelerate the plant to bear flowers and fruit ?

o

Sunset,

I did quite a few American persimmon crosses. I planted the seeds and let them grow for one season. The following March, I harvested the scion woods or as you mentioned from above, "the tip" portion of the young tree and grafted to another larger root stock or the same root stock if you like. But I prefer larger rootstock for more vigorous growth. These trees will bear persimmon fruits in 3-4 years instead of 7 years for the seedlings to bear fruits. Most of breeders do this method to save time. If the cross turn out to be bad then they just top work them and the process continue until they achieve the desire fruit. I hope this will help you.

Tony

o

Tonytran:

So it's better to get the scion from a tree that had already produced fruit, and it should bear fruits much faster then ?

o

Sunset,

On occasions, I had few grafts flower right away. I usually removed them and let the grafts grow. Sometimes, the weight of the fruits will break the new graft.

Tony

o

Tony:

so i think i might want to try to graft the tip on the the base, and the middle part onto another tree, and see what happens.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here