Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bear_with_me

Re-working trees via bud grafting.

bear_with_me
9 years ago

Despite being a novice and learning about it only via reading, I've been having good results with bud grafting. It's a very easy method and now that I am doing it, I'm surprised I never tried before.

I grafted pollinating varieties onto a fairly large Asian Plum. The plum is unknown variety, a large purple plum. But only produces 2 or three plums a year, and is about 15 feet tall. So far, I've added Shiro, Toka, Hollywood, and a cerasifolia. The June buds took and grew nicely. I don't expect yesterday's buds to grow until breaking winter dormancy, but I hope they take. Once they take, I can cut off the branches they are budded to, to let them replace those branches.

If a novice like me can do it, I think most people can. I'm not all that skilled. I've been using T-budding. I do a little different, use a sharp budding knife to cut two slices along the sides, one off the top, and two at the bottom at angles, then peel the bud from the bud stick. I think that requires less finesse and is less likely to result in blood letting, than the traditional method.

I also top worked an Almaden Duke, about 7 feet tall, 6 years old, with Ranier and Bing. Leaving a few Duke branches. We'll see how that goes. Then I added 2 buds of Oregon Curl Free peach to an Indian Free peach, because that one requires a pollinator too.

This seems to be a good time of year for budding. The bark slipped nicely. Early June was also good, and was rewarding for nice growth on a few that really took off.

Image is one of the Shiro I budded onto the unknown variety of Asian plum.

Comments (5)