Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Re-working trees via bud grafting.

Posted by Bear_With_Me 8 Pacific NW (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 27, 14 at 13:05

Despite being a novice and learning about it only via reading, I've been having good results with bud grafting. It's a very easy method and now that I am doing it, I'm surprised I never tried before.

I grafted pollinating varieties onto a fairly large Asian Plum. The plum is unknown variety, a large purple plum. But only produces 2 or three plums a year, and is about 15 feet tall. So far, I've added Shiro, Toka, Hollywood, and a cerasifolia. The June buds took and grew nicely. I don't expect yesterday's buds to grow until breaking winter dormancy, but I hope they take. Once they take, I can cut off the branches they are budded to, to let them replace those branches.

If a novice like me can do it, I think most people can. I'm not all that skilled. I've been using T-budding. I do a little different, use a sharp budding knife to cut two slices along the sides, one off the top, and two at the bottom at angles, then peel the bud from the bud stick. I think that requires less finesse and is less likely to result in blood letting, than the traditional method.

I also top worked an Almaden Duke, about 7 feet tall, 6 years old, with Ranier and Bing. Leaving a few Duke branches. We'll see how that goes. Then I added 2 buds of Oregon Curl Free peach to an Indian Free peach, because that one requires a pollinator too.

This seems to be a good time of year for budding. The bark slipped nicely. Early June was also good, and was rewarding for nice growth on a few that really took off.

Image is one of the Shiro I budded onto the unknown variety of Asian plum.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Re-working trees via bud grafting.

Wow Bear...that's some nice growth. I've been going to give bud grafting a go...I think you just convinced me to get on with it next year. I guess I kinda expected it would be slower than if you say cleft grafted that branch while dormant. Your photo proves to me otherwise. Thanks.

o

That's awesome. Its something I've been practicing as well. Although mine aren't that impressive. I grafted 5 buds onto my dads apple tree. The variety is unknown but 3 of the 5 are alive. They haven't grown prolifically but have survived. We are planning to top work the trees and give them their first pruning in late winter. We'll see how the buds do after the pruning

o

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 27, 14 at 14:07

I budded about 70 krymsk-1 roostock with stone fruit using T budding. On most I did two buds so as to have a backup. Not all buds took but all trees right now have at least one bud started.

two T buds on K1 photo newlybuddedstonefruits005_zps1210a13a.jpg

This shows two rows of the budded K1 that will be trellised. I don't expect fruit next yr but should in 2016.

newly budded K1 photo newlybuddedstonefruits003_zps231db52f.jpg

o

Wow fruitnut...that greenhouse is nice...looks like a laboratory. What's growing on the trellis in the bottom pic?

o

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 28, 14 at 7:50

Those are the various stone fruit I budded on Krymsk 1 in May.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here