Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Feijoas-Pineapple guavas as a hedge

Posted by gatorguy1885 8b (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 26, 12 at 13:10

Anyone using these as a hedge? Any pics or advice would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Feijoas-Pineapple guavas as a hedge

Not a particularly densely-foliaged plant, although you can pinch and prune to create more density. Select young plants with tight, acutely angled branches if you want a hedge. Some varieties tend to sprawl.

o

You can grow Feijoa in the parking lot; i.e. it is amenable to almost any format...hedge, espalier, even topiary. The more you prune it, the more it grows... My question would be,,,why bother with Feijoa??

o

Because it's an evergreen subtropical that is well suited for 8b where most other subtropicals would fail

Because of the unique leaves and beautiful flowers it produces (with sweet tasting edible petals)

Because it gives fruit later in the season when most other things are done

Because they taste real good

Reason enough IMO

o

My next door neighbor did a hedge row of pineapple guava on our property line. Her side is not pruned while my side gets pruned as branches grow too far into my yard. Here is what they look like after about 3 years in the ground.

o

As the pictures show, the plants are rangy and not as dense as most hedging material. If you have room to let the plants get large-ish, they work. They do bloom on new and old wood, so some pruning does not eliminate next year's bloom totally. Feijoas need summer water to look their best, if you are in a hot dry summer area such as Portland.

o

There are some smaller-leaved varieties which are used for clipped hedges. But for best fruit quality, you should get named varieties. Small-leaved varieties may be useful to pollenize plants intended for fruit.

Sometimes plants offered for landscaping use are seedlings.

Here is a link that might be useful: Feijoa fruit facts

o

I just searched Yahoo images with "Pineapple guavas as a hedge" and found a number of hedges shown. Brady

o

FYI, should you change your mind in the future about like them for a hedge, they make some serious trunks that are a real challenge to dig out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here