Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thatcompostguy

will blackberry cuttings root in water?

thatcompostguy
9 years ago

Gave someone a thornless blackberry transplant and pruned the ends for ease of transport. Stuck the pruned ends in water inside the house two weeks ago. Leaves are still green. Had empty primocanes and one fruiting floricane. The floricane doesn't look good at all. But the primocanes do. Just wondering if this is a futile effort or if it will work after a while.

Thank you.

Comments (7)

• jstubbs_gw
    9 years ago

I was reading the other day that someone did it successfully with red raspberry, so it might be possible. I'm actually trying it right now with black raspberry cuttings, just for fun.

• lsoh
    9 years ago

Last year I tried only a couple in water and a couple in potting soil. The water version didn't work. Potting soil did. However, that was only a small experiment.

• vieja_gw
    9 years ago

I sure know the blackberries send out shoots underground to areas way away from the original!! I have to yank/dig out several that are coming up in the flower beds from the plants quite a ways away! I know the seeds dropped by birds will germinate too but those are easy to pull out... not the long root system underground sent out by the main plants! Mine are the thornless Triple Crown black berries. I have given cuttings of the long roots from the main plant to friends & neighbors & they have rooted well for them.

• thatcompostguy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OK. Thanks again. It doesn't cost anything to let them sit until something happens or until I can tell that it won't. I might whip up some willow water and change the water in the bottle.

• Charlie
    8 years ago

This is an old thread, but here is my February 2016 experiment. I took hardwood cuttings from last year's growth of my thornless blackberry in late February. I placed the cuttings in water in a south window where they only get a little sunlight and have changed the water every few days. As of March 21 the cuttings have leafed out, but I still do not see any roots.

• vieja_gw
    8 years ago

It may not help, but I dipped my cuttings in a rooting powder & they rooted... but whether from the powder or they were going to root anyway ...?! I have not had much luck trying rooting ... just looked at the rose cuttings placed in soil under glass jars I took last Fall from my huge 'Gardens of The World' rose bush. In the 70's some days here already so I carefully removed the jars. Haven't noticed any new growth yet but the old leaves still green. Supposedly it is very easy to do!

I do not try & get other plants started from the blackberry plants that seem to grow from the dispersed seed as I was told they would not grow 'true' to the original plant? I pull them & toss!

Good luck!

• thepodpiper
    8 years ago

Yes, it will absolutely work. If you want to help it along put an aquarium bubble stone in the bucket.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!