Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blackberry Not Setting Fruits

Posted by achang89 Central NJ Z6b (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 14, 14 at 13:24

I've had this Black Satin blackberry for 10 years. But I do not remember it ever setting any berry fruits. It gets 80% sun, in a grass area, but mostly not having grass at its foot. I do not spend much time with the plant and it still come up every year.

As far I can remember, the plant grows to about 2-3 feet, to about 4-5 feet large. It flowers, and appears to set fruits, but the fruits never materialize.

I do not know what to do with it. I do not think it needs any pollination. Close by, we have a lot of wild raspberry bushes.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blackberry Not Setting Fruits

Don't have a solution for you, just wanted to say you are remarkably patient. I would have shovel pruned that bush about 7 or 8 years ago!

o

• Posted by Drew51 5b/6a SE MI (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 14, 14 at 19:39

Yeah maybe try another plant. I grow brambles, and have never seen this happen.

o

The wild berries around me only bear fruit if fertilizer Blackberries are heavy feeder.

o

When I moved to NJ from the South about 10 years ago, I brought some plants with me. This blackberry is one of them since I paid for it. I have not spent much time with it, so in some sense is neglected.

I still like to renovate it. But just need to know what is wrong with it.

The same with my 10 year old mini roses. They just grow by themselves and still small sizes....

o

See link...maybe a few ideas.

Here is a link that might be useful: Poor Fruit Set in Brambles

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here