Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to get rid of Crows?

Posted by plumhillfarm 4b (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 18, 14 at 13:25

A flock of crows has moved in to the woods around my orchard. They are all over the orchard and the fruit is not even ripe yet. Is there any ways to get rid of them besides shooting them? I would hate to have to net all my trees, normally the birds only go after the really tasty ones, ut crows will eat everything.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to get rid of Crows?

• Posted by glenn10 5a New Brunswick (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 18, 14 at 16:33

I usually shoot one crow and hang it upside down from a pole in the middle of what ever they were eating. They all fly back and circle around seeing their fallen brother and then fly away and do not return for the rest of the season. You could try a fake dead crow and see if it has the same effect.
The other bonus of the dead crow is it also seems to keep the deer away as they do not like the smell of rotten crow. Gross I know but I live in the country and don't have any neighbors to offend.

o

The only problem with hanging a crow is sensitive humans may see it and react badly- It makes the assassination obvious. However, my limited experience with the issue seems to indicate that crows can see the corpse even if you leave it where it falls. They will avoid that area for quite some time if that experience indicates a wider truth.

o

I don't no crows in your area, but problem solved by hanging one from tree limb let swing in wind this give life like appearance that what crows can't take leave. Hanging Owl from high as can limb they work for me over 5 acres area. Use solid Plastic Owl not Swivel head style the solid have loop top head for cord twine. Leave swing Owl 6 foot below limb this give right amount free movement.

A bait station with pocket gopher poison up off ground kill a lot crows. You want high up so other animals won't eat bait.

o

• Posted by murky z8f pnw Portlan (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 19, 14 at 12:29

At our place the crows dive-bomb and harass the great horned owls.

o

Glen10. Something tells me that you take the Clint Eastwood approach. It may not be for the faint of heart but I like your process and a couple of your lines in particular.

I usually shoot one crow and hang it upside down from a pole in the middle of what ever they were eating.

The other bonus of the dead crow is it also seems to keep the deer away as they do not like the smell of rotten crow.

o

Crows are very intelligent and can easily learn different people. It seems like they would connect the danger with the shooter and still come to the area when the shooter is not visible. I suppose if one was shot without seeing the shooter, they might be more fearful of an area as having and mysterious danger.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here