Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
chlorothalonil fungicide?

Posted by john222-gg ms./8 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 30, 12 at 13:31

I have A small orchard with every kind of fruit you can name I am looking for A fungicide that will work on all fruits. I know I am wishing for a miracle. maybe someone can help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: chlorothalonil fungicide?

John:

I use chlorothalonil for control of peach leaf curl and cherry shoot blight only. I use Captan for apple scab
also on grapes for fungal issues.

Chlorothalonil is pretty restrictive on when it can be used on fruits. I know for stone fruits it is not supposed to be applied after shuck split. Weird as they allow people to spray it on their tomato plants for early blight control?

Captan does not work well at all on powdery mildew. Sometimes I get this on tart cherries and Captan is ineffective.

I hate to use Chlorothalonil but that is me personally. It is such a thick formulation that it is hard to mix and very hard to even wash off my measuring spoons. I prefer only to use it when necessary.

Just my experiences. LOTS of fungicides on the market. I don't know of just one fungicide that will control all diseases well on all fruits. I would say it depends on what fruit crops you are growing and what fungal issues you
are trying to prevent. I am sure plenty of other fruit growers will be responding to this too.

I read a lot about Immunox on this website(Mycobutanil-alias Rally or Nova) as working well too. However, I cannot find it for sale at my local stores except in small bottles that connect to the garden hose. I have not yet tried it, but hear it works well.

o

I've been trying Serenade for sooty blotch on apples, not that I'm likely to get any this year, with such dryness. But it seems to have a wide range of problems that it claims to treat.

o

Spartan-Apple

I apreshate the response.I use captin on peaches,plums,nectarines,plum cots,grapes and apples but I can't on pears will cause fruit fall.I also have figs,jujube,paw-paw,mulberry's,blueberries.I have to watch witch sprayer I am using all the time.I guess I should not have so many different fruits and trees.It would just make it a lot easier.Am always worried I will spray with wrong sprayer

o

I've never heard of Captan causing fruit fall in pears.

o

Daconil has a pre-installed measuring system on the bottle so no need to use measuring spoons. Works good on my roses and stone fruit. Works great on rust too (lawn and trees)

o

There is no all purpose fungicide that serves the entire orchard. Captan is close but if you have cedar apple rust or pear scab it's not the ticket. I believe Daconil is the same as Mancozeb which is the cheapest way of filling the gaps left by Captan. It's also extremely affective against summer fungus on apples. I don't use it anymore in favor of lower risk products that are only available packaged for commercial production.

o

Mancozeb is zinc ion and manganese ethylene bisdithiocarbamate. Different active ingredient. It's a broad spectrum fungicide good against many problems, but the label happens to say it's not for use by homeowners on lots of crops, like grass and fruit trees. I think they may be phasing it out.

o

Hilton, they are not yet phasing out Mancozeb for commercial production in NY as far as I know. They just restrict the amount of applications, as I recall. In orchards that have developed resistance to the SI's it is very useful. I thought there was at least one formulation of it for homeowners.

o

What I have is intended for homeowners (it's a pretty old container) but I see on the label that it says homeowners aren't supposed to use it for turf and fruit trees, only commercial operators.

o

• Posted by olpea zone 6 KS (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 2, 12 at 10:58

Hi John,

As Hman pointed out, there is no silver bullet fungicide to protect your fruits. You just have to slowly learn your way. This forum is a good place to ask questions. Off he top of my head, Hman, Scott, Spartan, and a few others have the most experience in this area.

Captan will not cause pears to drop. Commercial captan products no longer have pears on the label because of fruit russeting of some pear cultivars. Some homeowner formulations of captan still have pears on the label because russeting is not an issue if you aren't selling the fruit.

Chlorothalonil is a good multi-spectrum fungicide, but unfortunately as mentioned, it has significant label restrictions. It can't be used at all on pome fruits. Daconil is a homeowner formulation of chlorothalonil. Spartan brings up a good point about the puzzling label restrictions of the compound.

Chlorothalonil can't be used after shuck-split on stone fruits, yet it has a zero pre-harvest interval (PHI) for tomatoes. What that means is theoretically tomatoes could be sprayed with chlorothalonil and immediately harvested and eaten. I don't understand that seemingly inconsistent labeling myself, but know there is a lot of thought and research that goes into label restrictions. How easily the product washes off different fruits, how it is treated during processing, how much is used for baby food, ect. all factor into it.

A rather humorous seeming inconsistency is when a label has a zero PHI but has a 24 hour re-entry interval, so that theoretically a person can not enter an area after compound is sprayed to pick the fruit, but they can eat the fruit. In reality, the answer for this apparent duplicity is that the fruit can be machine harvested and then eaten. What the EPA is trying to avoid with this type of labeling is workers working 8 hrs./day harvesting fruit in a field just sprayed. The exposure from harvesting such a field would be much greater than eating a few fruit that were just sprayed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here