Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
john222_gg

chlorothalonil fungicide?

john222-gg
11 years ago

I have A small orchard with every kind of fruit you can name I am looking for A fungicide that will work on all fruits. I know I am wishing for a miracle. maybe someone can help.

Comments (10)

• spartan-apple
    11 years ago

John:

I use chlorothalonil for control of peach leaf curl and cherry shoot blight only. I use Captan for apple scab
    also on grapes for fungal issues.

Chlorothalonil is pretty restrictive on when it can be used on fruits. I know for stone fruits it is not supposed to be applied after shuck split. Weird as they allow people to spray it on their tomato plants for early blight control?

Captan does not work well at all on powdery mildew. Sometimes I get this on tart cherries and Captan is ineffective.

I hate to use Chlorothalonil but that is me personally. It is such a thick formulation that it is hard to mix and very hard to even wash off my measuring spoons. I prefer only to use it when necessary.

Just my experiences. LOTS of fungicides on the market. I don't know of just one fungicide that will control all diseases well on all fruits. I would say it depends on what fruit crops you are growing and what fungal issues you
    are trying to prevent. I am sure plenty of other fruit growers will be responding to this too.

I read a lot about Immunox on this website(Mycobutanil-alias Rally or Nova) as working well too. However, I cannot find it for sale at my local stores except in small bottles that connect to the garden hose. I have not yet tried it, but hear it works well.

• User
    11 years ago

I've been trying Serenade for sooty blotch on apples, not that I'm likely to get any this year, with such dryness. But it seems to have a wide range of problems that it claims to treat.

• john222-gg
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Spartan-Apple

I apreshate the response.I use captin on peaches,plums,nectarines,plum cots,grapes and apples but I can't on pears will cause fruit fall.I also have figs,jujube,paw-paw,mulberry's,blueberries.I have to watch witch sprayer I am using all the time.I guess I should not have so many different fruits and trees.It would just make it a lot easier.Am always worried I will spray with wrong sprayer

• User
    11 years ago

I've never heard of Captan causing fruit fall in pears.

• blazeaglory
    11 years ago

Daconil has a pre-installed measuring system on the bottle so no need to use measuring spoons. Works good on my roses and stone fruit. Works great on rust too (lawn and trees)

• alan haigh
    11 years ago

There is no all purpose fungicide that serves the entire orchard. Captan is close but if you have cedar apple rust or pear scab it's not the ticket. I believe Daconil is the same as Mancozeb which is the cheapest way of filling the gaps left by Captan. It's also extremely affective against summer fungus on apples. I don't use it anymore in favor of lower risk products that are only available packaged for commercial production.

• User
    11 years ago

Mancozeb is zinc ion and manganese ethylene bisdithiocarbamate. Different active ingredient. It's a broad spectrum fungicide good against many problems, but the label happens to say it's not for use by homeowners on lots of crops, like grass and fruit trees. I think they may be phasing it out.

• alan haigh
    11 years ago

Hilton, they are not yet phasing out Mancozeb for commercial production in NY as far as I know. They just restrict the amount of applications, as I recall. In orchards that have developed resistance to the SI's it is very useful. I thought there was at least one formulation of it for homeowners.

• User
    11 years ago

What I have is intended for homeowners (it's a pretty old container) but I see on the label that it says homeowners aren't supposed to use it for turf and fruit trees, only commercial operators.