Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Identify Crab Apple

Posted by danielj_2009 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 13, 09 at 13:36

Hi. I have a tree that I'm almost positive is crab apple (since it is growing nice sized crab apples on it). However, it is important that I get the identity correct. Someone once told me that if I cut the fruit in half that there should be 5 seed pods if it is an apple. This tree has 4 seed pods and one sliver that looks to be about where the 5th pod should be. Is 4 also a correct number?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Identify Crab Apple

Daniel:

If it looks like a crabapple, walks like a crabapple, and quacks like a crabapple, it's a crabapple.

There is no correct number for the number of seeds in an apple. All depends on how well it is pollinated. I have seen as many as 8, and as few as 4. Usually, the more seed pods, the larger the apple. There is no such thing as a "correct" number, regardless of what that someone once told you.

Can you tell us why it is important that it be a crabapple? Also, can you tell us where you live?

Don Yellman, Great Falls, VA

o
RE: Identify Crab Apple

Hi Don, thanks for your help last spring on fireblight! I think it's under control, tho I lost an ein shemer apple. Fireblight was bad here, even getting my Orient pear.

Is there a list of good species of crabapples for pollination of different apple species? As usual, I just blundered in and bought a magenta (from coldwater farm- they were not expensive) and a native crabapple to help pollinate my Braeburn and Gala apple trees, hoping they would be in flower at the same time. The trees are still young and only the Gala has flowered at all yet.

Do you know if they will flower at the same time or be any help in pollination?

Susan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here