Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vjeko_gw

dry zone 9 - kiwi

vjeko
10 years ago

I'm in Croatia on the coast / 100m from the sea with just the
house north of the kiwis - so there's not so much protection from wind. I know this is not the best scenario to grow kiwis and I should probably have stopped since I've already moved/bought new ones a couple of times, but I'm pretty stubborn ;)

The soil lacks humus, so I added sheep manure and worm compost and have sprayed with aerated worm compost tea. The kiwis started growing but with the coming of summer and the hot and dry weather, they just stopped growing and many leaves dried up (I guess I'm afraid of overwatering/root rot.

I added mulch which I collected around the place (grape wines, straw oregano etc.) to see if cooling the soil would help ( I know a lot more mulch is necessary) and gave them a good watering - approx. 20l each away from the "trunk"(removing mulch before watering, so it doesn't breakdown too fast and to avoid disease) . The next day, the leaves showed some healthy green.

What can I do to promote growth ? It seems each year at summer time, all growth stops and withers and then
they start again next spring - not much progress.

Comments (3)