Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's wrong with my Elberta peach tree (peaches don't grow)

Posted by tobemeghan 6 (depends on year) (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 24, 13 at 13:45

I have a Elberta peach tree that is full sized. Every year for the past couple of years it fruits beautifully and I have dreams of having my own peaches. However, the peaches never grow! They are the same size now that they were in May (shooter marble sizer or slightly bigger). The tree is healthy, fertilized (straw and manure from the cows pen) and watered but nothing.

Any thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's wrong with my Elberta peach tree (peaches don't grow)

Did you thin them?

o

I thinned them a bit, may not as aggressively as a should have. Last year, however, half of the blossoms got frosted (half of the tree was protected, the other half wasn't) and the same problem. How many peaches should be together in the little "bunch"?

o

There should not be 'bunches' The peaches should be 6" inches to 8" apart.

o

Ah gottcha. So probably to late to thin them now but will give it a try. Thank you!

o

Yes, too late to thin them now. Thinning esp. for new fruit growers is a very emotional thing to do (or not).

I thin them when they are a dime size. Thin out all "Siamese twins", too. I think I thin off 70% of the fruitlets (some may think that's not enough!!).

You may need to thin more than once.

o

I am new to fruit and I just hate thinning, seems like I am wasting so I obviously didn't do so aggressively enough and ruined what would have been a great harvest (the weather has been great even have been getting rain). Could kick myself now!

Thanks for the info ladies and gents.

o

• Posted by eboone 6a - SW PA (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 24, 13 at 20:29

I would still thin a whole lot off. Even though that won't help the size at all, it might help the few left to ripen, and you might get a taste of them. Elberta should not ripen for another month or longer if you are in zone 6. And it won't stress the tree as much and it might put more into growth for next year

o

Another reason could be it's the rootstock that is growing not Elberta, I have heard of that happening. Depends I guess what the rootstock is I guess some rootstocks produce small fruits, certainly not all. Lovell is a decent clingstone.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here