Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tobemeghan

What's wrong with my Elberta peach tree (peaches don't grow)

tobemeghan
10 years ago

I have a Elberta peach tree that is full sized. Every year for the past couple of years it fruits beautifully and I have dreams of having my own peaches. However, the peaches never grow! They are the same size now that they were in May (shooter marble sizer or slightly bigger). The tree is healthy, fertilized (straw and manure from the cows pen) and watered but nothing.

Any thoughts?

Comments (16)

• tobemeghan
    Original Author

I thinned them a bit, may not as aggressively as a should have. Last year, however, half of the blossoms got frosted (half of the tree was protected, the other half wasn't) and the same problem. How many peaches should be together in the little "bunch"?

• tobemeghan
    Original Author

I am new to fruit and I just hate thinning, seems like I am wasting so I obviously didn't do so aggressively enough and ruined what would have been a great harvest (the weather has been great even have been getting rain). Could kick myself now!

Thanks for the info ladies and gents.

• tobemeghan
    Original Author

I thinned them a bit, may not as aggressively as a should have. Last year, however, half of the blossoms got frosted (half of the tree was protected, the other half wasn't) and the same problem. How many peaches should be together in the little "bunch"?

• tobemeghan
    Original Author

I am new to fruit and I just hate thinning, seems like I am wasting so I obviously didn't do so aggressively enough and ruined what would have been a great harvest (the weather has been great even have been getting rain). Could kick myself now!

• tobemeghan
    Original Author

• tobemeghan
    Original Author

• tobemeghan
    Original Author

• tobemeghan
    Original Author

• tobemeghan
    Original Author

• tobemeghan
    Original Author

• rayrose
    10 years ago

Did you thin them?

• mrsg47
    10 years ago

There should not be 'bunches' The peaches should be 6" inches to 8" apart.

• tobemeghan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ah gottcha. So probably to late to thin them now but will give it a try. Thank you!

• mamuang_gw
    10 years ago

Yes, too late to thin them now. Thinning esp. for new fruit growers is a very emotional thing to do (or not).

I thin them when they are a dime size. Thin out all "Siamese twins", too. I think I thin off 70% of the fruitlets (some may think that's not enough!!).

You may need to thin more than once.

• eboone_gw
    10 years ago

I would still thin a whole lot off. Even though that won't help the size at all, it might help the few left to ripen, and you might get a taste of them. Elberta should not ripen for another month or longer if you are in zone 6. And it won't stress the tree as much and it might put more into growth for next year

• drew51 SE MI Z5b/6a
    10 years ago

Another reason could be it's the rootstock that is growing not Elberta, I have heard of that happening. Depends I guess what the rootstock is I guess some rootstocks produce small fruits, certainly not all. Lovell is a decent clingstone.