Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scripto_gw

Regrow Meyer Lemon Tree From Clipping

scripto
10 years ago

I have a clipping from a Meyer Lemon Tree I clipped Saturday. I have what looks like a sling shot branch, one which v's into two all bearing leaves. I wrapped the clippings around the base in wet papertowel, and a ziploc for transport. I have since recut the base at a 45 degree cut and inserted into a clear container with a mixture of hommade compost and potting soil mix. Do I have a better chance cutting this 1 into 3 and trying to root all 3? Any other tips as I only have one crack at this. Thanks again.

This post was edited by scripto on Mon, Jul 8, 13 at 16:02

Comments (10)

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    10 years ago

Scripto, you cannot take out untreated and un-inspected citrus products from the state of Florida across state lines. This is VERY ILLEGAL. Please do not do this. Florida is battling a very serious citrus disease - Huonglongbing (Citrus Greening) which is fatal to citrus and has no cure as of yet. You could be inadvertently spreading the disease.

Patty S.

• mrsg47
    10 years ago

Hoosier is right. I bought three different citrus trees over the internet and have had one of them for amost three years. All are blooming and fruiting. They do not like potting soil and zip lock bags. When you get home, order one over the net. The cuttings will probably not take anyway.

• scripto
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I will definitely take that advice. I had no clue that it was not not permitted. Any recommendations on an online source for these?

Any advise on how to root citrus trees from clippings in future, when local obviously?

This post was edited by scripto on Mon, Jul 8, 13 at 17:31

• mrsg47
    10 years ago

I bought my new Meyer lemon from meyerlemon.com. I purchased a two to three year old. It is now outside and starting to bloom.

I purchased my Key Lime tree (topiary) from a company that re-directed the sale through Amazon.com. The tree is stunning, again two to three years old. All of my citrus lives out of doors during the summer and does not go back in the house until the temps. really drop. These are not inexpensive trees, but I've been enjoying my Meyer lemons (I have two meyers one is five years old) for over a year now and once you have a Meyer, its pretty hard to have a regular super sour supermarket lemon!

• mrsg47
    10 years ago

Oops left out, click on Citrus forum. They will answer all of your questions, they did mine.

• scripto
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Site shows Under Construction?

• mrsg47
    10 years ago

The citrus forum is up and fine.

• scripto
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I was referring to meyerlemon.com.

• mrsg47
    10 years ago

google it, it might have changed

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    10 years ago

Lemons are among the easiest citrus to grow from cuttings. Although Meyer lemon is not 100% lemon, it too should be fairly easy from cuttings provided you start out with healthy hydrated cuttings (yours look dehydrated).

Make sure to remove all but last two or three leaves to slow down dessication of the cutting. You could even cut the remaining leaves in half to reduce transpiration.

Use about 6" cuttings and apply rooting hormone. Best time to start cuttings is early summer.

Insert cuttings into about 3" of perlite/potting soil mixture in a large clear plastic storage container. Keep the environment very humid and warm. I place my box under the edge of a large shrub where it gets just a bit of sun. Temp inside box should not exceed much over 95 degrees.

Or, just buy an Improved Meyer Lemon mail order! A lot less work!