Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hardy Cherry Plum Pollination?

Posted by konrad___far_north 3..just outside of E (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 13, 14 at 13:49

These have been the most mystified species for cross pollination. I grow several now but fruit set is extremely low.
I'm talking about Manor, Oka etc.
Which is doing the pollination for you?
So far, sand cherry, [Prunus besseyi] seems to be the best as they say,.. what is your thought on this?

Here is a link that might be useful: More Cherry Plums

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hardy Cherry Plum Pollination?

I dunno konrad, after months of reading up on pollinating my toka, I dont recall seeing anything much about cherry plums. DNA says sand cherry. Turns out that the U of sask has the same writings as DNA gardens. Im wondering if any japanese plums will pollinate? I guess other cherry plums just arent cutting it? Maybe the winter just kills off the buds?

o

Hi, I have several of these, Sapa, Sapalta, and I believe manor. They have huge loads of fruit every year and some of them are not very close to eachother. THey bloom later than most Japanese plums, catch the tail of the Kaga and Toka blooms, and I have no sand cherries, but there are choke cherries in the woods. I got them due to the U of Sasak article a long time ago. I have been pulling them out as they are not very tastey (but so purple they are almost black), and they are to short for my sprayer so they get brown rot badly. THey are supposed to be extremely hardy so I do not think the cold is an issue. I would say native plum would be the best as they bloom at the same time.

o

Thank you all!
Plumhill,.so, do you think it's the Kaga and Toka, I don't think
chokecherry will do, I do have Toka, should be flowering next year I hope, please keep an eye open on what's doing it for you.

I must have these in the ground for at least 15 years now and see slowly little improvements since I planted tons of other stuff,..lots of wild plums and Americana, flowering overlapping but not much improvement, the best is when I hand pollinate with sand cherry, rarely ever see bees on them,..they don't seem to like these!

o

Here at Green Barn, Steve introduces some chums, he say's nice to eat, ...I think it's just a sales hype, [when you hear him talk, he nearly choked on that acid!] have to agree with you Plumhill, not all that tasty, ..think they can be a good processing plum.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chums

o

plumhillfarm
Question:
Is Kaga a good plum? Is it worth heaving when I have
already Toka? I'm talking about quality of fruit.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here