Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Watermelons not fully ripenning

Posted by Jmsmtchll65 9 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 30, 13 at 13:51

I am growing several varieties of watermelon in my S.E. Texas vegetable garden. The plants are growing wonderfully, and producing nice large melons. None of which ever fully ripen. Some of them were on the vine as long as 8 weeks before we picked them. The tendril and spoon were brown on most of them and the white bottom was a creamy yellow on all of them. Yet when we cut into them, they were white all of the way or almost all of the way through.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Watermelons not fully ripenning

It doesn't really matter how long they've been on the vine. Some varieties take longer to ripen than others. I hope you didn't pick all of them at one time, without first sacrificing one, to see, if it was ripe.

o

No, didn't pick 'em all, but have been picking about 1 or 2 a week for a few weeks now and none have been ripe inside. Something is wrong I believe. Everything I have read says it only takes 2 weeks tops on the vine to ripen, and that if the bottom is creamy yellow, as opposed to white, and the tendril and spoon are brown... then it should be ripe. Mine have not been. I don't know if improper fertilization is the problem, or too much/ little water. It is just strange that the plants are growing SO well, and producing so many large melpns, but none completely ripen.

o

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 30, 13 at 23:14

Two weeks on the vine to ripen is way off. Mine take 6-7 weeks from pollination to ripe. That's for Star Brite a 25 lb watermelon.

The brown tendril doesn't always work. Last year using that method most of mine were over ripe. This year it's working fine again like usual.

o

If you've had the extra rain that the rest of us have had, some of
your melons may never fully ripen. I've got a field of fully grown melons with dead vines, that will never fully ripen. This has been a hit or miss melon year for most of us.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here