Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Plum Tree questions

Posted by iamzvonko 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 10, 12 at 13:54

Hello,

I planted a few fruit trees over the last week. I know, I know, not the best time to do it with the heatwave but I couldn't wait.

I'll be posting several questions about them because I'm new to this. The first questions I have are about one of the two plum trees.

In the attached picture, I'm showing the whole tree, then a bit enlarged and finally zoomed in on a "glob" of some clear sappy stuff. What is that? Should I be worried about it? If so, is there something I can do to fix or prevent it from getting worse?

The 2nd question is whether or not I should prune the little "sucker branch" growing from the bottom.

Thanks for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Plum Tree questions

Snip the branch.

Plums and other stone fruit exude that sap from any kind of injury of lesion. So you should take it as a sign to check the tree and see if there's a problem to be addressed.

I can't be sure, that that seems to be where the tree was previously cut back.

o

Yes snip the branch and spray that "thing" with copper just to be on the safe side. It could become more cankerous (canker) than it already is.

o

Yes, trim that side shoot off. The sticky substance is from where the tree has suffered injury, possibly in transit or when being planted. Paint all damaged areas with a proprietary sealing compound to prevent disease. If the tree is allowed to 'bleed' too much, it could become weakened and die.

o

blazeaglory - can you explain what you mean by spraying it with copper?

Lurcher - can you explain what you mean by "proprietary sealing compound"?

Thanks for all the replies!

o
Plum tree is oozing even more now

Hello,

since my first question, the tree has started to ooze sap from two more places. I've been trying to read up on this but there is so much contradictory information out there that I'm confused.

A lot of what I've been reading seems to indicate that the tree is beyond help. Is that true? Please tell me there is something I can do to keep it viable. If there isn't I guess I'll need to just pull it and plant another but I would really, really rather not.

In some earlier replies it was suggested to spray it with copper or use a "proprietary sealing compound". Can someone expand on what that means?

Thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here