Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mpoland33

raspberry help

mpoland33
10 years ago

THREE QUESTIONS FOR EVERYONE:

1.I bought raspberry plants from Depot last year and I really never paid attention to what kind of raspberry plant I bought. Now I'm into it and have no clue. The plant produced few raspberries last year. I trimmed them back. This year it's producing quite a bit. Any way to tell what kind I have?

2. Any way to get a fall crop out of this?

3. I have a HORRIBLE Japanese beetle problem. They started about two weeks ago and last night, I literally couldn't see half of the bushes anymore. I did the ole soap in bucket trick and got rid of a majority of them...but I assume more will come. Any tips?

BONUS QUESTION:

Anyone recommend any books or reading on raspberries?

Thanks!!!

Comments (2)

• cablestarman
    10 years ago

Is it possible for you to take a picture of it? What color is the fruit? It is possible to get 2 crops out of it if it is a fall-bearing or everbearing variety. Im lucky this year, just a few Japanese beatles so far. Removal by hand is the best way in my opinion, whatever you do, DO NOT USE JAPANESE BEATLE TRAPS. Good book I read was Berries (Firefly Gardener's Guide) - has all the berries in it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Berries (Firefly Gardener's Guide) [Paperback]

• ericwi
    10 years ago

Brushing the Japanese beetles into a bucket of warm soapy water is fast and effective. You will have to repeat this every day for about a month, in order to get the upper hand. The raspberries will often grow new foliage to replace what was damaged by insects.