Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chasing Birds from Orchard

Posted by tedgrowsit 6b PA (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 9, 12 at 14:00

The birds, specifically the red-bellied woodpeckers, are going to end up getting more William's Pride apples than I do. What is the most effective means of keeping them out of the trees? I have neighbors quite close, so loud noises are not a good option. Thanks for any advice. Ted

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chasing Birds from Orchard

For the past few years, I have tied old shiny computer discs to the fruiting trees - apricot, plum, apple - along with partially deflated mylar baloons. The balloons dance and move with the slightest breeze, and the discs spin and emit flashing lights if the sun can shine on them. This has been quite successful, although my greatest predator this year has been squirrels, both ground and gray types.

We managed, however, to harvest most of our fruit, except for the almonds, which the squirrels eat, even though the seed kernels weren't ripened

I am hoping that the ground burrowing critters will not find the young tree roots.

Good luck.

Bejay

o

I also have had good results with the CDs. Only put them up right as the fruit is about to get tasty. Too early and they acclimate, too late and they are too hungry and will ignore them.

Scott

o

in addition to mylar shiny stuff I've added aluminum pan lids from party supply store - their retangular, extremely cheap, like 50 cents each, and blow in the wind easy. i put several on a pole so they hit each other. Shiny and random sound but not enough to trouble neighbors. Managed to keep 90% of my blueberries this year. Also did the mylar balloons-about 1.50 ea and blow in the wind even if deflated.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here