Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blueberry Fungus?

Posted by guate z4 nh (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 10, 12 at 14:09

For years I've tried to grow blueberries but they continually die back on the growing tips. In june the top 6 to 8 inches start to wilt then die back. The soft part shrivels and there are brown spots on the stem below. Does anyone know what this is or if there is a cure?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blueberry Fungus?

Looks like some kind of bacterial infection or maybe stem borer assuming that all other factors are up to par. What kind of water are you using? Rain water, municiple, well???

o

The blueberry is planted next to a small pond so does not need watering. Others are planted 50 feet from the pond and still has this problem.

o

It could be a stem canker.What variety of Blueberry?There are canker resistant kinds.I'm not sure which ones though. Brady

o

The varieties have been forgotten through the years but I'll check out canker free blueberries, Thanks all.

o

• Posted by luke_oh zone 5 NE Ohio (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 18, 12 at 10:23

I have the same problem, it's a type of canker. What I plan to do is cut the stems down to soil level and spray lime sulfur this fall and early spring. This is suppose to take care of the canker. worth a try i suppose. luke

o

Thanks Luke, It's too late for this years treatment but I'll be ready for it next year.

o

Guate, that looks like phomopsis twig blight to me:

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/3000/pdf/3214.pdf

It wiped out my entire planting, despite my thorough soil preperation. Perhaps if I had caught it earlier, some fungicide might have saved my plants. I now have brambles in the beds--they're looking good.

Marc

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here