Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
WSJ article on "next super berry"

Posted by jacqueline3 9CA (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 12, 13 at 14:10

Just for your amusement - did anyone else notice that when the WSJ printed a huge article in the Personal Journal section on Wed, July 10th on obscure edible berries they printed a picture of an arum italicum (a sort of lily) seed pod and labeled it "barberry" ? Arum italicum berries/seeds are poisonous!

I have written the WSJ and suggested that they might want to print a correction, as presumably they did not really intend to encourage the eating of a poisonous berry. It is so odd, because anyone looking at the picture of the arum italicum seed pod should have been able to tell that it was not any sort of berry bush - it clearly has only one vertical stem.

Jackie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WSJ article on "next super berry"

Hi, which issue/date?

o

• Posted by bob_z6 6b/7a SW CT (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 13, 13 at 0:27

Here's a link to the article.

Here is a link that might be useful: WSJ Article

o

Thanks Bob!

o

In addition to sending my email to the "letters to the editor" page, I also sent an email to a person with a by line on a nearby article (could not find the author of this article). She responded immediately, and said that she was forwarding my email to "all of the right people", and that they take this very seriously. I have not seen a retraction in the paper, however.

Jackie

o

Nice save! I looked at that picture (DH saved the article for me, we thought we might have aronia but turned out to be Prunus vir.) and thought, that doesn't look like the Japanese barberry we have all over (guess those are edible but it's really the European one you want).

Byline says Anne Marie Chaker, though the editor would know who put the photos and captions together, it may not have been the author of the article.

o

It probably was not the author of the article who put the photos and captions together, but the point is that evidently the pictures were not checked by anyone (editor?) who even knows that barberry is not a plant which produces one stemmed seed pods.

Here is the picture in question - arum italicum, definitely, and definitely poisonous!

Jackie

o

Here is a picture of real barberry berries for comparison -

Jackie

o

Now THOSE look like the Japanese barberry I'm used to!

o

• Posted by murky z8f pnw Portlan (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 15, 13 at 0:58

The whole idea of a super berry, or super foods in general, is pretty silly.

o

Well, I pick pretty thorny wild blackberries for the taste, I don't think I would pick barberries no matter how high in antioxidants they were supposed to be. Never did care much for elderberries either (though I think I still have some in freezer from 2011).

I'll stick to wild blackberries and blueberries - the darker the better (yum!). And black raspberries when I can find them (wild rose is overrunning them, I have to dig some out and transplant to a more convenient, open spot).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here