Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pomegranate - blossoms/fruit falling off

Posted by vjeko 9 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 26, 13 at 14:11

Here's a photo of two pomegranates - the small one in front
is 2 years old and has 3 fruits growing on it. The large one behind it is over 5 years old, with all blossoms always dropping off. This year I used some glue to keep the ants away but still the blossoms fell off. The large pomegranate is supported since it doesn't seem to be "anchored" too deeply (I may be guilty as I didn't do too much deep watering (or is it something else ?).
There's new growth sprouting around the "trunk" - not sure if it's a sign of some "problems".
Anyway, I'm not sure what I can do to resolve the problem with
falling blossoms/fruit.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pomegranate - blossoms/fruit falling off

Patience.
In my experience, some young fruiting plants - like poms & persimmons, may drop all blossoms and fruits, for several years, then they seem to 'get the hang of it' - &/or reach an adequate degree of maturity, and begin fruiting reliably.

o

I had the same experience with my pomegranate, it is second year and all the flowers just fell off. One of friend was about to take out his pomogranate having the falling off issue for 4 yrs, then some one told him that it is natural for some pomogranate trees to shed flowers/baby fruits in the initial years, so he kept it and this year it has more than 30 fruits.

o

Your pomegranate tree might have a pollination issue---I had the same problem with my tree. But then I decided to do hand pollination and it worked, it started to produce fruits.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here