Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pears on quince?

Posted by bhawkins 8a Dallas (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 4, 13 at 14:13

Anybody having any luck with pears on quince? I planted a magness on quince 4 years ago from Edible Landscaping, it's a very slow grower; 3 ft tall now, no flowers yet. I keep reading the Europeans get pears to fruit in the second leaf when using quince.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pears on quince?

Hi, I have a european (five combo grafted European pear) on quince. It has been in the ground for two years. The first year the Bartlett and Seckel bloomed (no fruit), the second year only the Bartlett bloomed (no fruit). I think it takes at least four years. Two years to go! The tree is flourishing and is now over six feet tall. I watch the different Euro varieities so that one does not take over another. Its on quince and doing just fine. Mrs. G

o

3 ft is far too slow! It makes me wonder if Magness is not partly incompatible with the rootstock. I planted a stand of pears on quince last year and they are all 5' or taller now.

Scott

o

• Posted by bob_z6 6b/7a SW CT (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 5, 13 at 11:22

I planted 3 pears on quince last year. They are now:

5.5'- Magness- It grew slowly last year, but it's put on about 2' of growth this year.

7'- Fondante de Moulins Lille- It flowered last year, as I was planting it, but it took this year off, instead putting the energy into growth.

4.5'- Harrow Delight- Part of the reason it is small is that I'm letting it bear a few fruit this year. It's also thicker than the other two.

For comparison, I also planted a Honeysweet on OHxF333 which is ~8' tall.

o

Thanks all. Sounds like its working so far for y'all; I guess I'll try one more pear on quince.

o

I have heard stories about various pear rootstocks runting out in the south. Some southern pear growers stay away from certain rootstocks for that reason. I don't remember the particular rootstocks that were runting but they were all OHxF numbered ones. But the quince could be doing something similar.

Scott

o

Yes OHF333 hasn't worked for me on 3 trees. I'll try one more on quince.

Thanks!

o

I have an anjou on quince from Cummins, planted as a whip in 2005. It's been very slow to develop...probably 7' now and slight. It's fruiting for the first time this year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here