Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Reviving an overgrown garden

Posted by lucymay6 Winchester, MA Z5 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 8, 13 at 14:15

Boy do I need some advice. I am embarking on a huge project of taming my parents' property that has been neglected and overgrown for many years. This posting concerns two trees, one apple and one crabapple. The apple is one that grew as a volunteer. There used to be a very old apple tree in the yard when I was growing up. It is gone now, but this is its child, and it is probably 15' tall now. My mother says it has never borne fruit or flower.

I'm wondering if it would be possible to graft cultivated varieties onto this well established specimen rather than cut it down? Any opinions?

The crabapple seems healthy and is producing many fruits and flowers. It has 4-5 large established suckers growing out. Probably 3" diameter. If I cut them all at once, will it shock the tree?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Reviving an overgrown garden

You can graft apples of your choice on the apple tree. Your rootstock will have no dwarfing ability so expect a large tree. I would remove all suckers from your crabapples if you want to continue growing in the standard shape of your current trees. They will grow back and need removing again and again. Al

o

Thanks for your input! what do you think would happen if I cut off the top of the apple tree? Any chance I can make it shorter?

o

• Posted by murky z8f pnw Portlan (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 8, 13 at 19:15

If you cut off the top of the apple tree it will sucker like crazy. You can keep it lower by pruning and training the branches to spread horizontally along with continual and regular pruning.

o

If you really want some useful advice try to post a photo or few.

o

Here's a pic of the apple tree.

o

This is a close up of the first set of branches on the apple.

o

And this is the crab with all its suckers.

o

based on your input here, I've decided to prune all the suckers on the crabapple and to remove the apple tree. as much as I hate to kill a mature tree, it is growing right in the middle of where I want my vegetable garden to go.

The trouble with the crabapple pruning plan is that there is a mourning dove sitting on a nest in one of the sucker branches. So I will wait until she's done with her nest. Probably autumn.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here