Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
milehighgirl_gw

Single source for Tasty Rich, Tomcot, and Robada?

milehighgirl
9 years ago

Wanting to avoid multiple shipping charges I am looking for a single source for Tasty Rich, Tomcot, and Robada. Any ideas? (And yes, Fruitnut, you are an enabler:))

Comments (7)

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    9 years ago

milehighgirl:

Adam's County Nursery might be your only source for Tasty Rich and they don't seem to have it every yr. It blooms very early in my greenhouse but did set outdoors here this yr before the 23F freeze. Unless you can manage some protection I'd move it down your want list.

Getting all three in one place is a very long shot.

Fowlers carries Robada and Orangered, my top two.

You might also consider Canadian White Blenheim and Montrose for late bloom. Bay Laurel carries them plus Tomcot but does ship very early for your area..

• alan haigh
    9 years ago

I can't recall seeing Tasty Rich in Adams catalog or website at least in last few years, although they sometimes have unlisted varieties. Are you sure bout that FN?

Miles, I do hope you are planning on some kind of shelter for these, they are the least reliable fruit I grow. Almost the only tree I manage with decent fruit on it this year is on my property against a south wall. Been eating and harvesting some today. There is some satisfaction in exclusivity- but its a lot better when my customers trees are loaded.

• milehighgirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hman,

I gave up on growing unprotected, When you say these are the least reliable, do you mean these cultivars or apricots in general?

• alan haigh
    9 years ago

Apricots in general, because of their early flowering, and in the east coast, their general winter tenderness. In the west they are much more hardy but where your are, a bit of a long shot to get fruit out in the open, I'd guess. Protected they will likely be a joy.

• milehighgirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We had apricots when I was young. Thankfully we never expected anything from them because we got a crop once every seven years.

I'm planting on the north side of my house but I have also decided to build a removable high tunnel around all of my stone fruits, and maybe my pommes as well.

I sent an email to Fowlers to get my order in. I will forgo the Tasty Rich for the time being. I am planting quite a few aprium and pluot seeds so maybe I'll get something good. At least it gives me a good excuse to keep buying them.

I have Hoyt Montrose and Zard, and I have ordered Robada, Orangered, and Goldensweet.

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    9 years ago

That's a mighty fine collection. I hope you can make it work!!

• bob_z6
    9 years ago

I checked the spreadsheet that ACN sent to me last July. As of 7/29/13, they had 59 Tasty Rich on Citation rootstock.

It is also listed on their website, though you need a circuitous route to get there. Click on "Aprium & Pluot Trees", the select any of them and hit "view". Then, you can scroll to the bottom of the page and select Tasty Rich from the "Aprium Varieties" dropdown (which wasn't available on the initial page. At the moment, all it says is "This variety is currently not available.", but I would suggest emailing ACN and asking for a 2015 list.

But, it could get pretty pricey for just that one. Another option would be to contact Bay Laurel and see if you can special order it (they get them from Dave Wilson). I see that DWN lists it, so there may be a chance.