Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blueboy

Posted by bamboo_rabbit 9A Inverness FL (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 10, 13 at 14:25

Do you have any pictures of your thrip damage especially on new growth? Thrips are what was giving you issues right?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blueboy

Yes and yes. Give me a few min. At work right now and will have to dig up some pics on Photo bucket and post.

o

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

o

Thanks. Nope that is not it, damn. I have no leaf issues just something chewing at the new stems sometimes to the point they fall over. They are kind of doing the pinching for me but not really the point. I don't see any bugs though at all...well did fine one small beetle that I can't seem to identify. Been googling bug pics for an hour.

o

Just came across this thread. I grow southern highbush blueberries in the Tampa Bay area of FL. I have always had to battle chilli thrips. Until this year, I didn't know what was attacking my plants. But now, I have things pretty much under control with Spinosad.

I saw a post a while ago from blueboy where you said you were going to spray kaolin clay. How did that work?

I got some kaolin powder and am ready to spray. What was your mix ratio. Does this work as a preventative for the thrips?

Pretty much everyone I know in this area who grows blueberries has to deal with this nasty buggers.

o

M5, I'm sure it does help but I only made one application of Surround about 4 weeks ago. We have had a few rain showers since and it needs to be sprayed again but I've been to busy. I cant remember the ratio of mix but I just followed the instructions. I think it was one cup surround to one gallon of water. A few things I noticed here. The only variety I have that got decent coverage was Snowchaser. The reason being is that variety has very small hairs all over the leafs and allowed it to stick and not run right off. Some of the slicker waxier varieties like Emerald or Misty had very poor coverage. I believe a few drops of liquid dish soap would help it spread out and stick to the leafs better. Just water and surround beads up bad on most varieties. All that being said I haven't a problem with thrips at all this year for some reason. I did just notice in the last week alittle bit of thrip damage on a young sweetcrisp. This is the time of year I have gotten the worst damage so I hope this isn't the beginning of a infestation.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here