Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Peach Trees Bleeding Sap

Posted by happyhummer Cyprus (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 11, 13 at 14:26

Hi,

I have a number of peach, nectarine and apricot trees that I have planted from pot to outside this year. They vary from 1 - 3 years old.

I noticed last month on of them died completely, all of the leaves turned brown. I didn’t notice till today that the tree was also oozing sap all over the place.

I’ve now looked at the other trees and 8 have the same symptoms, oozing sap and the leaves starting to die.

The oozing looks like small worms of clear sap, when I remove the sap there is a small pin prick where the sap came from.

I have looked at the base of the trees and cannot see any sign of borers. So any ideas what this could be.

One possible issue and I am not sure is that I irrigate from a bore hole and for a couple of months the water went very saline, approx. 12 grams per litre which is HIGH. This has since cleared and the saline reading is back to normal.

Thanks

Scott

PS: I am in Cyprus and normally these trees grow like mad ;-)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Peach Trees Bleeding Sap

If you're sure it isn't borers, then it looks like a case of Gumosis, but that usually occurs on older trees. If it is Gumosis, there's no real cure for it. Gumosis is a fungal infection that occurs, when the trees are under some kind of stress. Some peach varieties are more resistant than others. Winblo is one of them. I don't grow apricots, so I can't help you there.

o

I would ask the people who grow the apricots successfully, exactly what they do. Do they spray fungicides and insecticides?

o

• Posted by eboone 6a - SW PA (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 12, 13 at 13:54

You might get better advice from gardeners in Cyprus or the general Mediterranean area - maybe there are some others who have seen this or there are some pests unique to that area (athough just about every other foriegn fruit disease or pest has made it here already).
Good luck with this!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here