Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
peach scab treatment

Posted by eboone 6a - SW PA (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 16, 13 at 14:27

After a couple very rainy weeks, I have noted peach scab on many of my peaches - tiny black spots in clusters. I have been using Immunox every 2 weeks, but some online sources say that for peach scab, Captan and Sulfur are the best preventative sprays. Not sure if there is anything to do now that there is scab on the fruit. Any advice?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: peach scab treatment

Chlorathalinil is probably best, used very early. It's too bad that a version of Indar is not available to the home grower as it does a decent job against scab. I doubt anything else can provide any benefit once scab has established. At least the MFF should stop the peaches from rotting.

o

Thanks for the response. Is Indar restricted due to some toxicity issues?

o

I have found sulphur works reasonably well, at dime-sized or thereabouts.

Scott

o

Thanks Scott - does the sulfur reverse/cure the infection or just control it, keep it from worsening?

o

Its too late now, sulphur keeps it from starting only. I can see scab where I missed in my spraying now and there is nothing I can do about those bits.

Scott

o

EB, Indar is probably not restricted in you state, it just comes in much too large containers at too high a price if you only have a few trees. I'm not sure how much kick back it has anyway. Hard to tell just by anecdotal, uncontrolled observation. But I don't get much scab if I use Indar in my second post petal fall spray and then use one more spray of it a month before peaches ripen.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here