Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
On permanent stakes

Posted by ltilton 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 13, 13 at 14:32

A message here on another topic got me thinking about staking trees. I've never done a permanent stake and none of my "anonymous dwarf" trees have ever needed it. But I suspect the one on Bud 9 will, and maybe one or two others.

But when I look at my older trees, it occurs to me that if I had put in a permanent stake while they were young, the trunks would have by now grown over the stake.

What am I missing?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: On permanent stakes

For my apple trees on m7, I used galvanized water pipe for staking. The trunk didn't grow over the pipe but some of the branches rubbed it and were disfigured. The downside with using the galvanized pipe is that it is sharp at the top after pounding it into the ground and will cut the tree. Eventually, some the trees on m7 grew strong enough not to need support. I pulled the pipes out and filled the holes with sand. You can buy heavy fiberglass stakes but they can't be recycled when you are done. In summary, it is hard to surpass galvanized pipe from the junkyard for use in staking.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here