Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
No chip bud growth

Posted by nc_orchard 7a (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 21, 12 at 14:34

I did some cherry chip bud grafts about a month ago. All the grafts took and I cut the portion of the rootstock above the bud thinking I could push some new growth from the bud this year. The buds have yet to do anything. I successfully did some chip bud grafts last year and had the same issue, but thought I may get some growth from them in the following spring, but it didn'nt happen. What am I doing wrong, how do I get the buds to grow? The grafts I did this year are cherry grafts on Krymsk rootstock that I planted this spring. The grafts are not at the highest point on the rootstock as some branches have grown that are significantly higher than my graft. If I prune everything back so the graft is at the top, will that do any good?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: No chip bud growth

Never been very successful with any stone fruit other than plum, but in general grafts will remain dormant if there is very much growth above them because they are suppressed by the hormones secreted by the apical tip.

I've had some luck cutting a notch in the bark just above the branch that is grafted to, which interrupts the flow of the hormone from higher growth. I use my pocket knife to make a slice perpendicular to the axis of the trunk from which the branch grows. Make the notch by cutting a second slice ~ 3/16" wide and as deep as the bark.

Just takes a second and appears to do no harm. It's been very helpful for me on my apple, where I've had "failed" grafts emerge a full year after notching.

Good luck,

M

o

Mark is right, the bud needs to be dominant. If the stock is really big, like 2" or more, you can often get away with not having it dominate the whole tree, but it needs to dominate anything else on the same large scaffold it is on.

Scott

o

Scott, thanks for that point. I'd look forward to hearing any more thoughts you have on that, specifically, "if a bud is on a good-sized (say 2") scaffold, what influence would pencils located between the bud and the main trunk have?"

Also, I noticed that when I removed excessive top growth from my Liberty apple that all the young grafts below responded well. So that makes me wonder "how cumulative is the effect of apical dominance? Do upper branches "drain" into lower branches?"

Thanks for all your comments and help.

M

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here