Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blueberries stopped ripening mid season?

Posted by homey_bird SS 16 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 1, 12 at 14:35

Hi,

I have grown these blueberry plants in a large pot for more than 6 years now. Lately, for past couple of seasons I noticed that the container soil began to show some lack of nutrients, most notably iron, that made the plants suffer.

Anyway - I bought iron in liquid form and immediately after saw the plants put out active growth. I applied a second application (both at half the recommended strength to avoid overdosing), and now I found that there is plenty of vegetative growth but all pre-existing blueberries have kind of stopped ripening.

Typically, this time of the year is peak production time for them and now I see lots of plump berries getting plumper but not turning blue.

Should I be patient or is this a well known issue with excess iron application?

Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blueberries stopped ripening mid season?

Any chance of posting pictures?

o

I don't know about the iron, but I do know my blueberries stop ripening once the heat hits. Whatever stage they are in--green, blue---they just stop, and that's it for the rest of the year.

Carla in Sac

o

I don't know about the iron, but I do know my blueberries stop ripening once the heat hits. Whatever stage they are in--green, blue---they just stop, and that's it for the rest of the year.

Carla in Sac

o

Really Carla?That sounds odd to me.What varieties? Brady

o

Just wanted to post an update for my question earlier.

My blueberries did look like they were not ripening but they did continue a healthy growth. It's just that the berries were not turning color, they were just putting on bigger size. This went on for a month or so, and finally now I am seeing lots of blue ripe berries on the plants.

So my guess is this: due to iron deficiency my plants pretty much stunted and went into hibernation. When I applied iron, they did begin growth like sleeping beauty awakening from her sleep :-). In all, between the time that symptoms occurred and corrective action taken, there was a a lapse of one month that shifted the whole cycle by a month or so.

So this has been an important lesson for me : I've seen this on multiple occasions with even established blueberries: they basically sulk when things go wrong. If no action taken then they begin the slow decline to death. For young plants this is a faster process but even for established plants it is important to keep watch on their progress.

Thanks all for the pointers!

o

I have two plants that got about half way to blue and then stopped, no idea why. I finally harvested the berries because they were starting to shrink and fall off.

The plants look totally healthy and are growing great, no idea what happened.

RM

o

Hi Riverman, your experience is interesting. Could it be that the berries stop ripening due to season change? All in all, blueberries are a strange lot indeed!

o

I had a powder blue do that this year and Im pretty sure it was from lack of chill hours. We had a very warm winter and I hope thats not going to be the new norm!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here