Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help diagnosing Apple and Apricot problems

Posted by infiniteohms 5 Me (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 3, 13 at 14:39

Hello,
I need some help figuring out what is going with a couple of my fruit trees. First some general info, these trees where planted about 6 years ago in very sandy soil, which over the past 6 year we have added a lot of compost to. In previous years they have had occasional problems, but since they weren't bearing yet i didn't worry to much about it. This year has been a great growing season for most things as it has been very rainy (and water is usually the limiting factor for our garden, due to the sandy soil), but i think being constantly wet is starting to catch up with these trees.

Apricot:
Had a good crop last year, which dropped when they where ~90% ripe (so they where still quite tasty!), this year it bloomed fine, but then dropped a lot of fruit right away and in the last week all the remaining fruit has dropped. A lot of the leaves have withered and dropped.

Apple:
Had one apple last year, this year it bloomed heavy, but set no fruit, leafed out just fine, but some leaves are turning brown and crispy.

This post was edited by infiniteohms on Wed, Jul 3, 13 at 22:03

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help diagnosing Apple and Apricot problems

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 3, 13 at 17:40

Your photos don't show up and can't be linked. Please post the photos properly if you can.

o

sorry about the bad links, here are the photos
Apricot:
 photo DSC07036_zps324e276d.jpg  photo DSC07035_zpsf3c3e409.jpg  photo DSC07034_zps4d016c34.jpg  photo DSC07033_zpsebafabea.jpg

Apple:
 photo DSC07032_zps11c358aa.jpg  photo DSC07031_zps723f941c.jpg  photo DSC07030_zpseb0b7d41.jpg

o

I know nothing about apricot, but regarding the apple:

Looks like aphid damage. Have you sprayed insecticide? Also, aphids are always "farmed" by ants -- the aphids drink the sap from young apple leaves, causing them to curl and turn brown. The ants put the aphids there to drink the juices they secrete. So, get rid of all the ants, and the aphids shouldn't be a problem.

Is there any other apple tree nearby to pollinate this tree? Most apples are not self-pollinating, so without another apple variety around, this tree would not ever fruit. There is a shortcut though. If you don't have another tree and don't want to wait 6-7 years for another one to begin to flower for cross-pollination, you can graft some more varieties onto your existing tree and they will likely begin to flower within a couple of years.

Hope this helps.

o

• Posted by bob_z6 6b/7a SW CT (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 4, 13 at 15:33

The easiest way I've found to control aphids is to stop the ants from going up the tree with Tanglefoot. Just wrap a single layer of masking tape on the trunk and smear it with tanglefoot. You also need to make sure you cut off any alternate routes the ants may take, such as support stakes. Without the ants, I get very little aphid damage (my understanding is that predators take care of them).

o

On the apricot it looks like brown rot shoot blight on the tips plus some bacterial spot on the more mature leaves. Google for pix of those guys.

Scott

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here