Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is there a point when fungicides are no longer needed?

Posted by bart1 6/7 Northern VA (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 17, 14 at 14:40

I'm growing apples, pears, peaches, and plums and some of the peaches and plums are getting close to being ripe.

Is there a point in the season when you no longer need to spray fungicides because the fruit is no longer susceptible? Here in nothern VA, the grapes themselves are no longer susceptible to mildews and rots around the fourth of July, but the leaves still are, so you still have to spray, but just the (upper) leaves not the (lower) fruit.

I was wondering if there was a similar situation for fruit?

Thanks!
Bart

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is there a point when fungicides are no longer needed?

The nice thing about SI fungicides is they can be used for rescuing a crop when brown rot reveals itself to be a problem if you react quickly. This means you can experiment, which is helpful because species, varieties and sites all provide variations in pressure levels. Monterey Fungus Fighter is an SI that works well for BR.

I usually don't need to spray peaches (and plums) but once or twice with fungicide. Once is when I spray about 30 days before harvest and the fruit ripens without a problem. If some rot shows itself say 2 weeks after that spray then one more should do it. With some sites/varieties scab requires an earlier spray. I think MFF may not work so well against scab. Chlorathalinal does.

I don't worry about summer fungus of pears, because they aren't a problem here. I usually put up with them in apples as well as sooty blotch and flyspeck are the main ones here and they are cosmetic problems and sometimes storage problems only.

o

• Posted by bart1 6/7 Northern VA (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 18, 14 at 16:41

Thanks HMan!

What are the SI fungicides? I used the google, but I couldn't find one.

o

Try sterol inhibiting fungicides.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here