Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My Peaches are Spicy

Posted by ShastaBert Southern Oregon (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 21, 14 at 14:53

I just harvested my first peach of the season and the first from this tree. Much to my surprise it was spicy, like a mild 'hot' pepper. My lips and tongue were burning. Now, I'm almost 60 years old so how have I never heard of this before. Is this a normal characteristic and can I expect this to continue. This was a young Veteran Peach Tree grown from bareroot. Any info shed here would be greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My Peaches are Spicy

• Posted by fruitnut z7b-8a,4500ft SW TX (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 21, 14 at 23:03

I've never seen that. Could they possibly be too green?

o

Something was sprayed on the peach at one point? You used a knife to slice the peach that had not been thoroughly cleaned after cutting peppers?

o

Are there dimples in the fruit from stinkbug injury?

o

• Posted by Drew51 5b/6a SE MI (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 22, 14 at 9:09

Could it be a nerve cell disorder, cross wiring? Just kidding. I'm growing so many hot peppers, i have like hundreds of them, I would be very bummed if my peach tree was spicy. I'm drying peppers today. Gonna make some jerk sauce, some lemon drop hot sauce, good times! Some paprika peppers are ready to dry.

o

Isn't it too early for Veteran to be ripe?

o

Ok, these are all good possibilities, unfortunately, none of them worked :D
Yesterday I saved part of the fruit for my wife to try when she got home from work. She popped it in her mouth, went MMMM and walked away. After prompting her she said "nope, sweet and juicy". She never got any heat and this morning I picked a second one to try... no heat. I'm not sure how, or why, but apparently it was a fluke. I did notice that ants had eaten their way into the pit of another one. Maybe they're related, maybe not. Either way, they're delicious and I appreciate all the responses. I'll be mulling them over while I eat the other 30 peaches this week :o

o

You might have eaten a few of the ants. I recall a burning sensation on my tongue from eating ants on fruits.

Scott

o

• Posted by olpea zone 6 KS (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 22, 14 at 22:55

Milehigh is quite right. Veteran is a late peach.

I can't imagine Veteran ripening in Oregon this early.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here