Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Keiffer pears

Posted by ralph31558 z8GA (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 13, 13 at 14:54

Iv'e had my kieffer pear tree for 5 years, this is the first year that i am getting fruit., How will i know when the pears are ready to be picked?They are as large as baseballsand still very hard, Some have a slight red blush on them. Are the supposed to get yellow bfore picking?i Picked a couple with the blush and they were not ripe yet.
Thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Keiffer pears

You have to pick them at the blush stage, then ripen them off the tree. When they turn yellow and soften, they're ripe to eat.

o

It's my opinion that they will never be ready to eat.
But if you don't mind them, and make sure that you eat nothing but a fully ripe one, 'cause they are full of sand until they are dead ripe, they're really pretty good.
Pick them off the tree when they just start to yellow or get a bit of red on them, Wrap each one in a piece of newspaper and put them in a paper bag or cardboard box and put the box or bag in a closet . Every couple of weeks take one out and see if it is nice and soft and has a really nice pear aroma.
Pretty good when they are warm and soft and ripe.
We used to have four great big Keiffer trees, and cussed them every year when the millions of dropped fruits attracted billions of yellow jackets and their stingy little friends.
One day this woman stopped and asked if she could take some home. We helped her gather up quite a few bags and she was absolutely over joyed. She told us that Keiffer's make the best preserves and canned pears and pear butter and that she would bring us some. She told the truth. Baked Keiffer's covered in melted butter (NOT margarine) and honey is a real treat.
Canned and cooked and otherwise put up, Keiffer's make for some very good eating. Much better than any kind of pear stuff you'll ever get at the store.

o

No matter what you do with them, they'll always still be gritty.

o

I've several times read the claim that more "Keiffers" than "Bartletts" are canned and sold as "Bartlett Pears."

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here