Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what type of grape trellis?

Posted by thepodpiper 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 14, 13 at 14:55

I am finishing my grape trellis and can not find any info on what is the best type of trellis for the grape vines that I am growing. I am growing Mars seedless, Concord seedless and Reliance. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Dale

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what type of grape trellis?

http://www.houzz.com/grape-arbor-designs

o

Thanks for the reply. I already have my posts in the ground but was wondering what type of wire trellis would be best suited for the varieties i am growing.

o

If you are growing commercially this could be an issue, but if you are just growing for personal use, I would stick with something simple. I did one wire at 8' and another at 6' in my back yard and it is filling in nicely. I have 2 70' trellises running the length of my yard on one side where they get full sun all day long. They are 6' apart from each other.

o

Thanks TD. Just growing in backyard.

o

Pic of my back yard trellis area.

o

cant tell from the pic. is it a three wire or two? I read on a website that certain types of grapes need certain types of wire set up. Is this the case or will all grapes grow on all types of wire trellises? Is it just a preference thing.

o

podpiper:

I grow grapes using a 4 arm Kniffen system. I grow
concord and Canadice that way. Many years ago I grew
Reliance the same way too.

My vines are 8' apart (great on concord) but too far away
for Canadice. I love Canadice but it is a wimpy grower.
I should have spaced the Canadice 6' apart.

My memory of Reliance was that it grew much more vigorous than Canadice.

For wire, I believe it is #10 or #12 guage that I used. I have the bottom wire at 3' and the top wire at 5' height.
If I had to do it all over, I would put the top wire at 6'.
Odd, but I find the vines on the top wire always produce more fruit than those on the bottom wire. Perhaps my wires are too close and the vines on top are shading the
bottom wire too much?

o

Thanks SA do you have pics?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here