Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cherry Maggots: What to do?

Posted by plumhillfarm 4b (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 18, 13 at 15:02

Hello, this year we had significant cherry maggot issues for the first time. This is surprising since we had not a decent cherry crop for the last 3 years. The only thing I can think of is we had a huge crop of early cherries which all split, the later varieties (Hudson and late sours) have significant maggot issues. I am wondering if the rotting early sweets brought them in?.

How do you control cherry maggots?

THanks, Eric

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cherry Maggots: What to do?

It depends what they are from. Many pests can do this. I use MSU services when i have a problem. They have pest management services, ask an expert, and many online articles.
http://www.cherries.msu.edu/

o

I think the four most common maggots in cherries are the cherry fruit fly, the curculio, the oriental fruit moth, and the spotted wing drosophila (fruit fly). Treatment for each is different, so step one is dig out some worms and make an identification. My problem this spring I believe was cherry curculio, its a relative of the plum curculio. I sprayed Surround and I had about 10% infection, but without the Surround it surely would have been a lot worse.

Scott

o

"I think the four most common maggots in cherries are the cherry fruit fly..."

And the black cherry fruit fly

Here is a link that might be useful: Cherry fruit flys

This post was edited by Drew51 on Fri, Jul 19, 13 at 8:43

o

There are also several kinds of curculio that can infest cherries, I was just giving the categories above. Recently I thought I only had the plum curculio but PersianMD pointed out that it could be the cherry curculio and that matches some of the adults I found. There is not a lot of difference between CFF and BCFF or between the different curculios.

Scott

o

I have 4 cherry trees. Once I found a maggot in one while pitting. That was enough for me.

Now I always make my last spraying for curculio/fruit fly
with Imidan at the first sign of pink on the fruit. Then I net
my cherries. Imidan has a 15 day PHI on stone fruits so that is my last spraying. With the neeting on, I could not spray again anyway.

This works for me! I have not found a maggot since.

o

Yeah that is good stuff, anybody know where to get 1 pound bags? I love killing bugs! I never purchased any as I could not find any smaller than 5 pounds.

o

Here is a question then..

What if i eat the larvae? Surely i won't turn into a curculio? I've been eating Evans sour cherries, and every now and again i'll find a larvae (have no idea which one)... i'm pretty sure its safe because over the years, i'm sure i've ate a few. I also eat a lot of bugs while biking. Protein..high quality bug protein...can't be cheap :)

o

Yeah it is probably good for you. We might even want to grow cherries for the larvae harvest!

o

• Posted by lkz5ia z5 west iowa (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 19, 13 at 17:54

Problem is the little decay that sets in, otherwise, I wouldn't care about the worms. Some fruits like mulberries seem covered with very tiny bugs moving around the fruit, but no effect to the quality of fruit, so is pretty easy to gobble them up if don't stare too long.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here