Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Apple Black spots

Posted by jayveegv 5a (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 20, 13 at 15:05

Hello,

I have planted couple of apple trees in last fall and we have some fruits this year. But I am seeing black spots on them as shown in the picture.

Is this some kind of disease and how can i prevent them?
Is it safe to eat these applies?

Thanks,
JayVee

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Apple Black spots

Just looks like 'sooty-blotch'. Once the apple is ripe much of it will rub off. There are sprays you can use in the spring or you can bag your apples. in sandwich bags to prevent this next year.

o

Looks like it to me, too, although that's quite a lot for a red apple.

If it's sooty blotch, scratch at it with a fingernail, it should scrape away. You can definitely eat the fruit.

o

Some apples attract a great deal of sooty blotch, it depends on the type of skin. So, your picture looks like a standard case of sooty blotch to me.

Scott

o

• Posted by mjmarco Zone 6 Upstate NY (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 24, 13 at 7:21

I've had that one year...what helped me was pruning the tree both dormant and summer to help get air thought it. You will need to spray for scooty blotch in the spring too...
Md

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fruit & Orchards Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here